James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 4>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading 'Blood Bound' (Patricia Briggs), the second in the 'Mercy Thompson' series. In terms of plot 'Blood Bound' follows 'Moon Called' maybe a little too closely but does stand as an entertaining read in it's own right (with a good mixture of action and chills), I'd definitely read more. My full review is over Here.
I'm staying with urban fantasy a little longer with an ARC of Daryl Gregory's 'Pandemonium'...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Max Power

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
I wasn't aware of it at the time but apparently so Very Happy

Thanks for the nudge in the direction of this book, Deornoth, I think I'll keep my eyes out for that later in the year. I also found a link to an article from your site about Steven Erikson doing a book tour soon, and he's coming to Leeds, so I'm definitely going to go to that can get a couple of books signed. Thanks again!
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still hacking my way through Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice. Still loving it and have recently picked up The Hedge Knight graphic novels.

I did take a break to read John Connolly's Nocturnes which is a collection of short stories and novellas. Some of the stories are written in homage of other supernatural story authors such as King and M.R. James.
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley. Enjoying it so far Smile
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Power wrote:
Thanks for the nudge in the direction of this book, Deornoth, I think I'll keep my eyes out for that later in the year. I also found a link to an article from your site about Steven Erikson doing a book tour soon, and he's coming to Leeds, so I'm definitely going to go to that can get a couple of books signed. Thanks again!

No worries Very Happy I'll be at the London signing looking all fanboyish and will probably end up saying something really embarassing... Embarassed

I've just finished reading Daryl Gregory's 'Pandemonium'; a tale of demonic possession, Jungian theory and conspiracy theories. Despite the occasional overdose of psycho-analysis, I loved 'Pandemonium' to pieces and thoroughly enjoyed the read. Likeable characters, twists in the tale and tantalising glimpses of a wider world... My full review is over Here.
I'm now reading Lilith Saintcrow's 'Night Shift', it's very much like 'Blade' but... no, it's just very much like 'Blade' (fun though)...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Lilith Saintcrow's 'Night Shift', the tale of one woman's fight against the Hellbreed infesting her city. 'Nightshift' is so much like 'Blade' that I almost put the book down and watched 'Blade' instead but it's still an entertaining read that promises more of the same in the future. One for fans of Lilith Saintcrow and a good place for newcomers to jump on board. My full review is over Here.
I've now started Scott Bakker's 'Neuropath'...

dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last argument of kings, Joe Abercrombie. It was finally available at the library on a day I chose to go Razz
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Scott Bakkers 'Neuropath', a psychological thriller that has really got under my skin and shows no sign of leaving anytime soon! Some parts scared the thingies out of me while others made me look at the world in a new light. I'm pretty sure it also had something to do with the particularly vicious dream I had last night! If you like intelligently written thrillers then you won't go far wrong with this... My full review is over Here.
No idea what I'm going to read next but I've got plenty to chose from!

Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Tom Lloyd's 'The Twilight Herald'; an epic tale of empire and destiny (and mighty nations beating the stuffing out of each other). It's a slow starter but my patience paid off when things kicked up a notch, an exciting story that had everything I like about epic fantasy. My full review is over Here.
It's been a while since I read any sci-fi so Jaine Fenn's 'Principles of Angels' is up next...

Lizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Tom Lloyd's books too and am looking forward to the next installment.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I stuck with it this time round, I'm really geared up for the rest of the series now Very Happy

I've just finished reading Jaine Fenn's debut 'Principles of Angels'; a 'low tech' sci-fi tale of assassins, street gangs and mysterious alien technology. A really entertaining read but the character driven focus sometimes means that worldbuilding is sometimes a little sparse on the ground. My full review is over Here.
I'm now moving onto Tim Etchells' 'The Broken World'.

RichyT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say this young new author I found out about the other day from my cousin. The dude is 18 and it shocked me how aggresively fast and page turning his writing can get! He dabbles towards the mercenary idea more than heroes, but I can see reflections of David Gemmell's style in his work. Check him out let me give ya a link, the book is 640 pages long so its worth the price in my opinion. Self published i think, but ya'know check him out. May be the big next gen author!

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~53765.aspx

But i like his myspace more - actually replies and what not!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=381218910
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy pretty much anything by Glen Cook and this really paid off when I found me a copy of 'The Tower of Fear', a tale of machinations and resurrections in an occupied city under enemy rule. It's a little dry in places, and I thought the ending was rushed, but it's well worth a look if you're a fan. Cook is doing what he does best! Very Happy A full review is over Here.
I've got 'Toll the Hounds' on the go right now plus a couple of other books that are a little easier to read on the train...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Pamela Freeman's 'Blood Ties', some really lovely descriptive passages and world building sucked me into the book only to find that various shortcomings and contrivances were doing their level best to throw me straight back out again! A read that was really cool yet bloody infuriating at the same time, I'll probably stick around for the second installment at least and see if things pick up. My full review is over Here.
I'm now reading Naomi Novik's 'Victory of Eagles' and finding it really easy to get back into the adventures of Laurence and Temeraire...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Naomi Novik's 'Victory of Eagles' which turned out to be a real departure from the 'go to a new country and meet foreign dragons' approach which has been typical of the last few books. Guerilla warfare with dragons = cool! I'm not so sure about the ending though, it looks like Naomi could be back to her old tricks in the next book, I hope not... My full review is over Here.
The missus is away this week so I'm going to use the time to have a real stab at finishing 'Toll the Hounds' amongst others...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: