James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evolution vs Intelligent design

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you believe in?
Evolution
100%
 100%  [ 11 ]
Intelligent design
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Something else (Is there anything else?)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Evolution vs Intelligent design Reply with quote

I think it's time we had a good ol' fashioned heated debate about something and this is a topic often discussed amongst my friends.

So how does everyone stand on this? Myself, I believe in evolution and can't see any good reason why everyone doesn't. The main arguments I've encountered for intelligent design are faith-based, and the problem with arguments based on faith is they don't necessarily need to follow the laws of logic, which make them impossible to argue to a non-believer convincingly.

Anyway, some thoughts anyone?
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least intelligent design makes sense, unlike the book of Genesis.

I have heard arguments against Evolution regarding the fact that no one has ever found fossils of the in-between stages of certain animals evolutions ? like giraffes without the long neck and so forth.

Something else is Scientology and don?t get me started on that!
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And those interesting people who take Genesis for every word and actually believe humans once had dinosaurs as pets. Rolling Eyes
Thraun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik wrote:
And those interesting people who take Genesis for every word and actually believe humans once had dinosaurs as pets. Rolling Eyes

That would have been cool...definately would NOT volunteer for poop-scoop duty when out walking something the size of a house Laughing
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing CREATIONISTS!! That's the name I was looking for. I think it would have been interesting trying to keep a carnivor under control when it was looking at you and seeing a nice meal, but apparently the explanation for this is that they wouldn't have attacked humans because god would have told them not to. The humans were in control.
Seemingly the millions of years old fossils that have been found are in fact a conspiracy to dethrone god.
skandranon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im an evolution man myself, I think without any faith in whatever religion the world would be a much more peaceful place.
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see everyone so far agrees on the evolution front, but I was also kind of hoping for a good debate Razz my Christian friends are a bit less adept at logic and reasoning but they definitely have spirit, which makes for good debates.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution all the way. Any creationists or otherwise have got a very hard sell on their hands convincing me otherwise...
Al. I. Cuza

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm for evolution. But I do believe in God. Maybe not the God our churches try to make us praise, but an allmighty being, that leads us along our journey through life, a being, that lended human kind a helping hand, when it was trying to get out of the limit of the ape-body&mind.

I think one can mix the two beliefs, without getting into any serious contradiction.
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any reason why people can't believe in a God, or Gods, and evolution. I don't, but I think it's because people might define what I consider impossible to know as God. Such as, how the universe was created...I don't think it matters, as we'll never know, and could never possibly know (in my opinion) but something had to begin it, something had to cause all of the first causes.
But I like to define a God as a conscious, sentient, sapient being, and it's my belief that all these causes are just natural (maybe not to us, but just forces, themselves subject to causes and effects).

But that doesn't, in any way, exclude the possibility of a God or Gods. It's only my belief they don't exist. It's what I have faith in Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Social All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: