James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 4>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading a proof copy of 'The Steel Remains' by Richard Morgan.

Very good so far. Very good indeed. Even if it is a sci-fi author muscling in on MY territory. Snarl etc.
Alia

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to read it as soon as I can lay my hands of it. I really love Morgan, even though I disagree with his political views.
dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Electric Church by Jeff Somers.

I got it from the library because it had a cool name, I like the Electric Church "Red House" by Hendrix. Turns out it's an awesome book. A bit unrealistic but then, so is Nineteen Eighty-Four and everyone seems to think that's the bee's knees.

Personally, I like Animal Farm better.
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:

Very good so far. Very good indeed. Even if it is a sci-fi author muscling in on MY territory. Snarl etc.

Looking forward to that one. I did judge the book by it's cover though - looks very good visually!

I am currently reading Clash of Kings by GRRM. Really enjoying it, was put off by the size of the series, but I am so glad I decided to pick it up. Need to get this book finshed for Ravensoul release though, so only got a little over a week and it is a big book!
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wulfa...the song of ice and fire is great, but a bit of advice, keep going with the whole series one after the other....
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:

Damn those sci-fi authors! They think they know everything... Wink
It is very good though...

Just finished 'Sly Mongoose' (Tobias Buckell) and it's great! Loads of cool space opera goodness which is just what I'm after, although he has a nasty habit of building the tension up and then drawing a conclusion in one small sentence that you really have to look for... That aside though, I really enjoyed this and a full review is over Here.
Next up is either Brian Ruckley's 'Blood Heir' or Kay Kenyon's 'A World Too Near'.

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Auum

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this was 'so one year ago' and such. But i have started to read the ascendants Smile Also, i have started to read a book called JPod which is very quite interesting ^^.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fancied a quick fun read yesterday so picked up 'Dawn over Doomsday' (Jaspre Bark), the latest installment in Abaddon Books' 'Afterblight Chronicles'. What looked like a fun read soon became a big ol' pile of meh' though, there was enough cool stuff to keep me reading but not enough to be entertaining... A full review is over Here.
I'm still working my way through 'Bloodheir', it's heavy going but there are signs that things are about to get better...

Malop

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone registered on this site yet?

http://www.librarything.com/

I'm thinking about it but would then need to find the time to catalogue my books.
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
Mark D

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the Kingmaker Kingbreaker series by Karen Miller. i don't think i've been so emotionally attached to a book since i read The Raven! Crying or Very sad

Re-read The Ascendants now.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading 'Covenant' (John Everson), the winner of the 2004 Bram Stoker award. There's plenty there to show why it got the award but the promise of a sequel lessens the impact of the ending, it also feels like certain areas were left alone when they really could have done with being expanded upon. My full review is over Here.
Still reading 'Bloodheir' and it's still good!

Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading Brian Ruckley's 'Bloodheir' this morning. Like 'Winterbirth' it's a real slow starter but if you stick with it then things really kick off (about halfway through) in a manner that should appeal to all fans of epic fantasy, it certainly did to me.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one ends, I just hope that the issue of pacing is resolved... My full review is over Here. No idea what I'll be reading next, either Melinda Snodgrass' 'The Edge of Reason' or K.J Parker's 'The Company'.

dragonkillernz

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jules Verne, a collection of 3 books, From the Earth to the Moon, Round the Moon and Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea.

It's in very small print, so I can't read it at work, I work midnight til 8 and the poor lighting makes it difficult and tiring to read Sad
Alia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Pratchett's "Monstrous Regiment". As far as Pratchett goes, this is one of the most serious and even sometimes depressing novels. Of course, you can smile or even get a laugh at some points, but the main idea is not very funny.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Melinda Snodgrass' 'The Edge of Reason', a tale of warfare between the forces of science and superstition and a (policeman caught up in the middle). What seems, on the surface, to be a straight fight between doctrines ends up as a celebration of humanity in it's own right. Not as controversial as it sounds once you see what the author is actually saying. And it's got a great little plot as well, plenty of twists and turns that kept me wanting to read more. A really engaging read and well worth a look. My full review is over Here
I'm now reading Brian Keene's 'Ghost Walk', it's not quite as good as 'Dark Hollow' but it's still looking good so far.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: