James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 4>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've finished 'Blood Noir' (Laurell K. Hamilton) and I'll soon be making serious inroads into a bottle of whisky so I can forget this truly awful book. Plot? None to speak of. Sex? Loads of the stuff with far too much detail for my poor little eyes. I feel grubby for just having picked the book up... A full review is over Here
I'm now reading Stephenie Meyer's 'The Host'...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading Sarah Pinborough's 'Tower Hill' a tale of terror with lashings of gore, a sense of slow creeping dread, strong characters... and an ending that feels like a bit of an anti-climax... I really enjoyed it but it could have been so much more, the full review is over Here.
It's time for some science fiction next so I'm onto David Williams' 'The Mirrored Heavens'...

Auum

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished reading book ... ermmmm 5 i think of 'The Wheel of Time' Seriers - Great books, however i have been told many times that the next few books are very boring, so i probably will read them ... eventually....

Also a reccomended book by me is - 'The Gap Series' by Stephen Donaldson.... these books are infact amazing, second only to Raven. Smile .
skandranon

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the wheel of time series but i dont know if it will ever be finished as i believe Robert Jordan passed away. I know its not his fault but id got to book 12 and its very frustrating.
Hobbit_SFFWorld

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I enjoyed the wheel of time series but i dont know if it will ever be finished as i believe Robert Jordan passed away. I know its not his fault but id got to book 12 and its very frustrating.

No, it will be finished, Skandranon. A US writer called Brandon Sanderson is on with it now, based on copious notes and bedside dictation from James Rigby/Robert Jordan.

Due 2009, if I remember right.

By which time we might just have a George RR Martin book, though I'm not holding my breath! Wink

Mark
skandranon

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark thats good to know . I can sleep easy now not having to invent my own ending. Very Happy
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished reading 'The Mirrored Heavens', a story of terrorism and counter-terrorism in the 22nd Century. It's almost too convoluted for it's own good but it's still one hell of an entertaining read, that really made me think, with world building that really immersed me in the story. I loved it and a full review is over Here.
It's time for some urban fantasy now so I'm reading 'Steward of Song' by Adam Stemple.

Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife was out last night so I had plenty of time to finish off 'Steward of Song' which I really enjoyed. It's not the most original book ever but what it does do is done really well, I now want to see how this tale ends. My full review is over Here.
I'm now starting on Alan Campbell's 'Iron Angel'...

Alia

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I went to Warsaw International Book Fair, and I came back with loads of books, among others Lynch's "Red Seas under Red Skies" and Pratchett's "Monster Regiment" - and also some books by Polish writers.

And I'm still trying to find time to finish Kay's "Song for Arbonne", which I like very much so far.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Red Seas under Red Skies' is cool, hope you like it Wink

Just finished reading Alan Campbell's 'Iron Angel'. I thought it was a big improvement on 'Scar Night' with stuff actually happening instead of it just being all about the world-building, shame there wasn't enough room for the development that certain characters deserved... A great read though and my full review is over Here.
I'm now reading Patricia Briggs' 'Moon Called'...

Alia

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll start with Pratchett, though. Or maybe I'll go on with Kay and read his "Ysabel", which is still waiting on my desk, sitting on a high pile of books and "graphic novels". Guess it's time to buy another shelf or perhaps get rid of some books bought by mistake.
Futre4

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garden of beasts - Jeffery Deaver , highly charged high enjoyable.

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, it will be finished, Skandranon. A US writer called Brandon Sanderson is on with it now, based on copious notes and bedside dictation from James Rigby/Robert Jordan.

Have you read any of Brandons work?? its not bad at all, i think the first book is called elantris... (he used to hang out on the gemmell forum)
skandranon

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent OLD NEW GUY but ill check them out , thanks
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trains were slower than normal yesterday, and today, so I was able to finish Patricia Briggs' 'Moon Called', a tale of werewolves and shape shifting coyotes. To be honest, it's pretty much standard urban fantasy fare but an entertaining story (and some thoughts about what it really means to become a were-wolf) kept me interested and I'll certainly check out the sequel. My full review is over Here.
I'm now reading 'Sly Mongoose' by Tobias Buckell.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: