James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Managerless Newcastle...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Power wrote:
I think Sunderland might just have enough to stay up.

That'll be a first. Championship football, two seasons in a row!

Problem with Owen is he has a habit of getting injured so he's either not available to play, or he's only just getting back into fitness and doesn't have it in him.
Milner, yeah I'll agree with you there. But Keegan's never just gone with something. As I recall there used to be some chopping and changing years ago, until we got that 21m strikeforce that is....hehe, I just keeping going back to the good ol' days Razz
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newcastle don't have anyone who can change a game for them. Viduka, a few years ago, was awesome but now he's just... well.... not. Martins is a good play but blows more cold than hot and Owen, as great a goal poacher as he is, he's just not a player who's going to get 20 goals a season any more. But, between them, players of this calibre should be ashamed their team's as low as it is.

There's no easy answers... Keegan's got a far weaker team now than he did way back when and I'm not sure how much is in the kitty. The main concern has to be the defence, they cannot keep a clean sheet to save their lives. Which means Sunderland have a decent chance of at least getting an own goal against them! Razz
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they can stop doing it so well themselves. Awesome! An entire match which a high score sheet...it's a draw. And not one of them wasn'tan own goal.

Well, I suppose it'd make for some interesting derbys.
Futre4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard rumour that martins will be traded in the new season possibly for david villa and money ( perhaps thats wishful thinking) , I think milner still has a lot of potential , agreed Viduka isnt the player he was but he still has something left in the tank.
Owen for me ( and ive mentioned this many times before heh) is simply not that good a player any more , hes running on reputation a-la emile heskey style ( until eventually people realised he was rubbish ) , dont get me wrong owen isnt rubbish but he certainly isnt the speedy young go getter of old, he has fear in his eyes for 50-50s and is never fit enough for long enough to get match fit and bang in a few goals. I get frustrated when i hear pundits and fans say things like woah if he is this good when he is 17 or 18 then how good will he be when he is 27 etc , unfortunately some players simply peak early , i dont think rooney will continue to get better ( this is not simply a shot at owen ) .
Keegan is one of the poorest tacticians there is in football but he can do two things right, he can motivate people and he can build teams that score goals, I feel under Keegan Newcastle wil never win anything , but they are likely to hammer someone 7-1 every now and then , Id trade that sort of inconstancy over grinding out results and still finishing on the same points.
Im perhaps not a true geordie in the sense that in regards to Newcastle and Sunderland I actually wish sunderland all the best ( except when playing us of course) , I enjoy having derbys in the prem it makes it that much more edgy and exciting, especially when sunderland go down 5-1 to the might of the magpies Wink

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Gods, man! Have you been drinking?! Razz
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I agree and I haven't been drinking, either.
Max Power

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-1 against Spurs?!?!?!? Never saw that coming. Looks like Kev is starting to make a difference, and I think the Toon are definitely safe this season. Will be an interesting summer, and perhaps my pessimism earlier in this thread was misplaced...
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... grudgingly.... I'll admit it wasn't a bad score... Razz
Selik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, that's 12 points outside of the relagation zone and I agree Kev is beginning his inspirational magic once again. Very Happy
I have to admit though, that first Newcastle goal was easy! What the Spurs defence and Robinson were doing I don't know. By rights I don't think that should've got anywhere near the net, but then hey...who am I to complain?

4-1...we're making a come-back. Very Happy
Malop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add some local perspective to this football chat, no matter how bad it gets at newcastle it's doubtful they'll look at changing the name to Harchester united (from the Sky fictional tv show). Unlike my local team Mansfield Town
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/03/31/ufnhar131.xml
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
Futre4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Keegan has the wierd ability to be able to drub someone heavily now and again, although a 0-0 draw will soon become a folk story, that people start to deny ever even existed.

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is...

WTF is going on at Newcastle?? Shocked

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now Joe Kinnear is the interim manager of Newcastle... Shocked

Joe Kinnear... Shocked

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Newcastle, I really hope they sort themselves out...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Sport All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: