James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 4>
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Currently reading <cont 4> Reply with quote

Maybe as a group we could all agree to not read or listen to music as much then the thread would last longer Wink

Last comment by Futre4

midnight by Dean Koontz, actually its pretty good, Ive never read him before, its not as generic as many led me to believe.
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Currently reading <cont 4> Reply with quote

Malop wrote:
Maybe as a group we could all agree to not read or listen to music as much then the thread would last longer Wink

I'd love to, but then my life would be completely pointless Razz

I'm actually reading a Jamie Oliver book. Nice stuff in here... (It's a book it's the right section!)
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished The Crow Road by Iain Banks and despite the fact that it took me a long while it grew on me and I confess that I ended up enjoying it. This was aided in no small way by the fact that one of my motorhome trips was to the area of Argyll where the book was set and many of the landmarks described were familiar to me. Oh yes and Prentice got the right girl in the end! Laughing
Deornoth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got round to reading 'The Name of the Wind' (Patrick Rothfuss) and wish that I'd picked it up sooner... I was completely gripped by the story of the early years of Kvothe's life and couldn't believe it when it was over, when is the next book coming out. I did have some issues with the manner in which the tale is told, and the level of background knowledge that is assumed on behalf of the reader, but on the whole I really enjoyed this book and cannot wait for the next. My full review is over Here.
I've now got Jim Butcher's 'Small Favour' on the go but it may also be time to start reading Brian Ruckley's 'Bloodheir' as well...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Grace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Dirty Job and various other books by Christopher Moore. He takes fantasy concepts such as vampires and the Grim Reaper and messes with them. The outcome is absolutely hilarious. Very Happy
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading Deaths head : maximum offence

Synopsis
The Aux have been dropped on a far-flung planet called Hekati, only it's in Uplift space and not really a planet at all. As for their mission, it seems it's so damn secret that General Jaxx hasn't even told Lieutenant Sven Tveskoeg what it is. His team's going in blind, he smells a rat and he is so not happy - and that's when bad things start to happen and the body count starts to rise...The devil-may-care mercenary soldier-cum-killing machine Tveskoeg and the Death's Head squad are back: cue more extreme violence, a mega death toll, dirty sex, fiendish plot twists and explosive, non-stop action!

the last one was cray violent silliness...and i loved it...
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading 'Small Favour', the latest in Jim Butcher's 'Harry Dresden' series. It's very much a book for the long time fan, with loads of references to past events etc, but good fun at the same time. I may just have to search out the rest of the series now! My full review is over Here. I'm now starting on 'The Reef' by Mark Charan Newton.

James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still reading 'The Tenderness of Wolves' by Stef Penney. Beautifully written and a welcome change from fantasy and fighting...
Lizzy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read Red Seas under Red Skies. Good sequel in the Gentlemen Bastard series. Takes a very different turn from the first and it all goes very wrong for Locke and Jean. I'm looking forward to the next one even though I didn't feel this was quite as good as the first.

I've also read The Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer. I just love disengaging my brain and enjoying the wonderful world of Artemis Fowl and Holly Short.

I'm about to embark on Matter by Iain M Banks ...... I may be some time....

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Deornoth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy wrote:
Just read Red Seas under Red Skies. Good sequel in the Gentlemen Bastard series. Takes a very different turn from the first and it all goes very wrong for Locke and Jean. I'm looking forward to the next one even though I didn't feel this was quite as good as the first.

I'm with you as far as that goes, I didn't feel that the story worked as well in a boat as it did in the city (and seeing as Locke and Jean were meant to be pirates...) Still looking forward to 'Republic of Thieves' though Very Happy

I've just finished reading Mark Charan Newton's debut novel 'The Reef'. Although I had an issue with a sudden shift in focus (and a couple of areas that perhaps needed developing more) I really enjoyed the book, superb worldbuilding and a look at the darker recesses of the human mind. A full review is over Here.
I fancied a bit of a change so it's time for some horror with Gary Braunbeck's 'Coffin County', bloody good so far...

Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about half way through "Spirit Gate" by Kate Elliot and its great. Far better than her last series that i read the first one of and discarded.

Last edited by Mantyluoto on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Parmenion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood Heir by brian ruckley, the follow up to winterbirth
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
I finally got round to reading 'The Name of the Wind' (Patrick Rothfuss) and wish that I'd picked it up sooner...

I've now got Jim Butcher's 'Small Favour' on the go but it may also be time to start reading Brian Ruckley's 'Bloodheir' as well...

I was amazed by The Name of the Wind, a fantastic read. I can't wait for the next in the series, but it has sadly been delayed till next year now.

I'm just starting Small Favour now, a handful of chapters in and really enjoying it. A much lighter read after the grim final chapters of Last Arguments of Kings!
Alia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just finished Pratchett's "Nightwatch", in which Sam Vimes is thrown in the past and has to make sure history happens as it should happen.

I guess it was one of the most serious Pratchett's novels. Yes, it was funny, especially when we meet well-known Ankh-Morpork characters in their youth, but on the whole it deals with authority, abuse of authority and the impact of political changes on the lives of ordinary people - and that is never funny.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flint and silver (just started it)

Synopsis
Pirates of the Carribean meets Flashman in this rip-roaring, hugely entertaining prequel to Treasure Island John Silver had never killed a man. Until now, charisma, sheer size and, when all else failed, a powerful pair of fists, had been enough to see off his enemies. But on a smouldering deck off the coast of Madagascar, his shipmates dead or dying all around him, his cutlass has just claimed the lives of six pirates. With their comrades intent on revenge, Silver's promising career in the merchant navy looks set to come to an end! until the pirate captain makes him an offer he can't refuse. On the other side of the world Joseph Flint, a naval officer wronged by his superiors, plots a bloody mutiny. Strikingly handsome, brilliant, but prey to sadistic tendencies, the path Flint has chosen will ultimately lead him to Silver. Together these gentlemen of fortune forge a deadly and unstoppable partnership, steering a course through treachery and betrayal and amassing a vast fortune. But the arrival of Selina, a beautiful runaway slave with a murderous past, triggers sexual jealousy that will turn the best of friends into sworn enemies ! and so the legend of Treasure Island begins.You'll be hooked
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: