James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 3>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After what seems like ages I've finally finished 'A Sword from Red Ice'! Yay me! Very Happy It's one of those really annoying reads that makes me just want to give up but there's just enough good stuff to make me want to keep going...
Everything that's good about the previous two books is here in abundance (for me that was the detail about the clans and characters such as Raif Severance and Vaylo Bludd) but it feels like JV Jones is trying to make up for the long wait between books by jamming in as much story (for as many people) as possible. This made it difficult for me to keep track of everything that was going on (especially when one character only turned up at the beginning and end of the book!). My full review is over Here.
I'm now starting on 'The Metatemporal Detective' by Michael Moorcock.

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished reading Michael Moorcock's 'The Metatemporal Detective' last night. Because of it's format (collection of short stories) it was sometimes hit and miss and I thought that some of the intended satire veered very close to becoming personal attacks on certain historical figures. Certain people make very easy targets but even so...
Having said that though I really enjoyed the 'pulp' element to all of these tales; loads of hardbitten detectives and double crossing beautiful women! I also liked the way that everything tied into the whole 'Multiverse' mythos, definitely a good place to start if you've never read anything by Moorcock. My full review can be found over Here.
I really got into the whole 'nefarious goings on in dark alleyways' thing so I'm now switching between 'The Doomsday Machine' (Catherine Webb) and 'Savage' (Richard Laymon)

Selik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started reading Simon Scarrow's 'Under the Eagle'. I like it, but i'm not so keen on how the dialogue sounds. It sounds almost 1950's airforce pilot. I'm sort of expecting them to use a catapult and shout 'Chocks away!'

Other than that it seems pretty good, although I have noticed there seems to currently be a leaning towards the J.K. Rowling habit of using upper casing for shouting Confused Still, i'll keep going and see how it turns out.
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik you wont be disappointed. i'm on book 4 now (cant remember name!) and still loving it!!
Lizzy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
I also liked the way that everything tied into the whole 'Multiverse' mythos, definitely a good place to start if you've never read anything by Moorcock.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I have read Moorcock before but a very long time ago and was thinking of re reading some in the New Year.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Lizzy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just getting to the end of Anasi Boys by Neil Gaiman, it's a delight to read and I'd recommend anyone read it. He's rapidly becoming one of my fav authors.

Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently reading "The Right Hand of Doom & Other Tales" by Robert E. Howard. It is part of the quite excellent Wordsworth Tales of Mystery and The Supernatural series.

Not too sure of it yet as I've only just finished the first story, but the idea of the character is quite exciting. They are currently developing a film based on the character....

I am also reading Marvel Vault which was one of my Christmas presents. It is the history of Marvel Comics in a lovely package, much like the Star Wars Vault which I also got for Christmas!
Alia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally finished "Lies of Locke Lamora". I know it took me a lot of time, but I was pretty busy over the Christmas period (you know, family get-togethers and such). And I must admit I have a problem with this novel. While the world is very interesting and while I appreciate the way the novel is put together, I had some problems with the characters. I just couldn't feel them. But on the whole I enjoyed it, although in a more intellectual way, if you know what I mean. Still, I mean to read the second novel when it is published here.
Now I'm going to read Pratchett's "Wintersmith" or some Polish novel - if my husband will let go of it!
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Lloyd's 'Stormcaller'. I couldn't take anymore of the dialogue in Under the Eagle, I'm afraid.
So far Stormcaller is really good.
Tk421

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormcaller is an excellent story I thought. I'm reading the next one at the moment. Twilight Herald.
Max Power

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson - very detailed and complex but I'm enjoying it
Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - enjoying it greatly thus far! Very Happy
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Joe Abercrombie?s ?Last Argument of Kings?. I know it?s really early in the year but I can?t see myself reading anything better in 2008 (happy to be proved wrong though!). Nothing happens the way you think it will but everything happens the way it should and everyone gets what they deserve, absolutely brilliant. Have a look at my review over Here. I?m now reading ?Wastelands?, a collection of post-apocalyptic tales?

Lizzy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
Just finished reading Joe Abercrombie?s ?Last Argument of Kings?. I know it?s really early in the year but I can?t see myself reading anything better in 2008 (happy to be proved wrong though!).

ahem, I think you are forgetting that Ravensoul is out later this year Wink

Deornoth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly did Embarassed You can forgive me my post 'Last Argument of Kings' high can't you? Wink

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: