James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Golden Compass - **spoilers thread**

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: The Golden Compass - **spoilers thread** Reply with quote

wtf?

Firstly, The Golden Compass is a decent movie in its own right. A bit chatty in places but it looks amazing and the acting performances are great. However, as an adaptation of the book Northern Lights, a book I thoroughly enjoyed, it's not great.

My main issue is the ending. They haven't changed anything, they've simply lopped three chapters off from the end of the book and plan to use them as a beginning to the next movie - assuming this one is a hit. So, rather than have the 'sting-in-the-tail' ending which the book has, and which I liked because Pullman had the balls to include such an ending (hey, he killed a kid), we have a more upbeat fairytale ending.

I can see why they've done it but prior to watching the movie I had no idea the ending had been shortened - the credits rolling when they did left me a bit bewildered and disappointed; a shame because the movie itself was enjoyable in its own way. As I've said, it looks amazing and has some great action. The polar bear fight is the best bit in the film!

So I'm a bit undecided still.... the ending has really hurt it, in my eyes.
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as some one who has not read the book i enjoyed it...i think when you watch a film adapted from a book you have enjoyed you will almost always be left wanting more and expecting more...its a good film very inventive, good action and some really good fun..
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally i'm open-minded when going to see a movie adapted from a book, but Drizzt is right.

Plus... why show part of an end in the trailer, that you're not planning on showing in the movie?
Alia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simple, really. The producer has decided to cut the ending in order not to anger Christian fundamentalists, who can influence box office, at least in the US.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite, they cut just about all of the religious connotations from the movie to avoid angering the fundamentalists. The Magisterium have been turned from fundamentalists in themselves into your standard cardboard cutout totalitarian old blokes. Razz

The ending was cut, at least officially, because they didn't want to end the movie on a downer (killing Roger...). They want this movie to make enough money to warrant the second movie being made so Chris Weitz, by hook or by crook, lopped the last three chapters of the book from the end of the movie to allow for a more upbeat ending and to avoid kids crying at the end of the film.

Last edited by Drizzt on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they still cried when the polar bears jaw got punched off...LOL...with a distinct lack of blood. Rolling Eyes
Selik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing There was a distinct lack of blood but it was one hell of a cool scene.
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched this on DVD at the weekend and enjoyed it more than I was expecting to - all the dire warnings I'd heard had lowered my expectations a long way but I thought it was reasonably faithful to the book given the constraints of a 2 hour film! Very Happy
Thraun

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the hype & advertising about it being "one of the greatest fantasy movies of all time", I thought it ending without much of a bite to it. Quite disappointing really, so I won't be holding my breath for the next installment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: