James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Elves of Cintra - Terry Brooks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: The Elves of Cintra - Terry Brooks Reply with quote

I've long been a fan of Terry Brooks. His were my first fantasy books after Lord of the Rings and I've been following the Shannara and Word/Void books ever since. I loved his early stuff, later stuff was ok but I really wasn't much impressed with the last two trilogies.

Then came Armageddon's Children.

For those who don't know, Terry is best known for his Shannara and Word/Void stories and for years there was always the question about whether one series was the 'future' from the other. A couple of years ago we found out this was the case and Armageddon's Children was the first in a new series of books which was going to bridge the gap. And a damned good read it was as well.

So, it's been a long year waiting the second installment. The last book ended on something of a cliffhanger - the sod!! The Elves of Cintra manages to satisfy the questions you were left asking at the end of that last book whilst managing to move the story along at a fair rate of knotts. And... for those of us who've read the Shannara books... you can kind of get a feel of where the overall narrative is heading and it's all good as far as I'm concerned. Very Happy
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept trying but could never get any further than a couple of hundred pages into 'Sword of Shannara', I did like the first two 'Word & Void' books though... 'Armageddon's Children' was a great way to carry on reading what I liked in Brooks' work while getting a feel for the Shannara stuff. I was hooked well before the cliffhanger ending that left me thinking... "The sod!" Wink
'Elves of Cintra' was just as good, I can't believe I've got to wait another year (?) to see how this all ends, even though we know anyway. I may now try 'Sword of Shannara' again...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: