James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saw IV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Saw IV Reply with quote

Went to see this tonight and was quite surprised! I can remember enjoying the original Saw, cringing at the second and just wondering at the mess which was the third but this one has got back to what made the first one a decent movie.

Rather than focusing on gore (don't get me wrong here, this movie more than earns its 18 certificate!) Saw IV actually has a story and even manages to fill in some of the gaping holes in previous movies.

And there is a lovely twist at the end... Wink

And, yes, there will be a Saw V and I also believe a Saw VI is being penned as well.
Grace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a critism of this film particularly, but horror/gore movies in general make me quite angry.
There is so much torture, genocide and violence in real life, yet everyone prefers to ignore it and go on with their safe, comfortable lives. These people rarely see more real blood than comes out of a paper cut. However, when the latest bloody offering appears in cinemas it will have millions flocking to see it. If people really wish to see these kinds of things they should go to places where they really happen and perhaps even do some good while they're there. Mad
Sorry, rant over. Enjoy the film.
Tk421

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't bad at all... although since I've not seen the 3rd one there were a few gaps that had to be explained to me. So because of that I didnt enjoy it as much as I might have. The other main problem is the sequel effect. The first in my opinion was genius. And the problem there is it can't get better. All the new Saw movies can do is just immitate and fall short of the mark.
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
Not a critism of this film particularly, but horror/gore movies in general make me quite angry.
There is so much torture, genocide and violence in real life, yet everyone prefers to ignore it and go on with their safe, comfortable lives. These people rarely see more real blood than comes out of a paper cut. However, when the latest bloody offering appears in cinemas it will have millions flocking to see it. If people really wish to see these kinds of things they should go to places where they really happen and perhaps even do some good while they're there. Mad
Sorry, rant over. Enjoy the film.

I think in some cases (though definately not all) horror movies are based on real life occurrences and as you say, many people who go to see them will have seen no more blood than a papercut, so when they watch a movie like this, it can be disturbing. Lots of people go (out of weird fascination with being disturbed) and it'll become even more disturbing because it's based on fact.

Okay, so Night of the Living dead isn't really based on a bunch of zombies rising from the grave to eat people, but movies like 'Wolf Creek', 'Texas Chainsaw massacre, and Natural Born Killers were all based on factual events.

I think in some cases they're made purely for entertainment value, but occasionally people make films just to demonstrate to the ones who hide themselves away from the truth about life and humanity as a whole, that this sort of thing really does happen. Some movies make people think- at least that's their intention.
Grace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik wrote:

Some movies make people think- at least that's their intention.

Fair point. It just sometimes seems like rather unpleasant voyerism to me.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At times it's exactly that. People will be going to see this movie for various reasons; not all the reasons will be wholesome. But, it's not a wholesome movie...

I know people will be going to see it to see just how far it tales things this time, just how much it can make you squirm in your seat, how many times it makes you jump etc. I don't see that as a bad thing.

But, if you chose to read enough into it, there is a message - or at least a few points to ponder. It's told through rather extreme imagery but it's there nonetheless. Do too many of us allow our lives to stagnate? Can we be helped without first choosing to help ourselves?

How many of us truly feel alive?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: