James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Black Flame

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: The Black Flame Reply with quote

At long, long, long last I managed to get time enough to myself to actually have a decent sitting and finish Rob's book. Yay!!

Firstly, congratulations (appallingly belated) to Rob on getting the work published.

Second... I enjoyed it. It's a solid read in the same manner as some other writers I like - R.A Salvatore for example. It's almost a throwback to old fashioned traditional dungeon crawling fantasy. Can't be a bad thing!

I'll be brutal now - it's no masterpiece, it won't win literary prizes and I've read this kind of thing before. Often. BUT, I like this kind of thing! I grew up reading about wayward travellers being thrust into (mis)adventures, I acted out the stories using He-Man and Star Wars figures (did anyone else use a X-Wing as a dragon? No? Oh...). Reading through The Black Flame was a welcome return to the stories I've read as a kid.

There's plenty of action, loads of combat, all manner of beasts and monsters - all the ingredients are there. I dare you to read it and not grin!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: