James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dumbledore is gay...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Dumbledore is gay... Reply with quote

Dumbledore is gay?

So, JK Rowling has outted everyone's favourite headmaster... is this a good thing or a bad thing? Seems a bit pointless to me... Confused
Tk421

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have understood it closer to the time the book was released but now it just seems pointless.
NicciM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really is there any way to prove, or even tell from the books, that this was the case?

I feel sorry for her. Harry potter is done, nothing she writes will ever be as famous and her time to be in the spotlight is done. When the years pass and pass people will remember the books and not her. So to take one last stab at getting some attention she outs a fictional character as though it actually mattered.
Tk421

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt neccessarily say people will forget her. Tolkien is still widely known for instance. While people remember that Potter kid, they'll remember his creator. Just my thought on it anyway.
Grace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pointless, hmm, yes that was my thought. It's a bit pathetic that anyone cares really.
NicciM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tk421 wrote:
I wouldnt neccessarily say people will forget her. Tolkien is still widely known for instance. While people remember that Potter kid, they'll remember his creator. Just my thought on it anyway.

I'm sorry...I'm sure you are a nice person

but may you burn in hell for comparing Tolkien to J.K.Rowling. lol

the two are not the same...Tolkien is remembered for unequaled greatness in the fantasy genre.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if she would have ever said anything if that kid hadn't asked her a question about Dumbledore finding true love... Confused I don't think it will alter anyones perception of the books.

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hasn't changed how I viewed the book or the character (I don't think it should make any difference). I've spoken with others away from this forum and they (up to now) have been of a similar mind. What would make a difference would be for Rowling (I haven't heard of her doing this yet so tell me if she has ) to make it clearer as to whether Dumbledore was still 'in the closet' in the HP world, or whether it was common knowledge... that could change how certain aspects of that world are viewed and by extension Dumbledore as well.
Max Power

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems an odd thing to say to me - I don't think it will make reading the books any different with the knowledge, and looking back I can't see that it obviously affected Dumbledore in the story, so why do I need to know?
Tk421

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NicciM wrote:

the two are not the same...Tolkien is remembered for unequaled greatness in the fantasy genre.

I know what you mean and I agree. But there are many in the world who think rowling is greatness as well.

I wonder if it'd help sales of The Black Flame if I outed a character... lol
NicciM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See i'm of the opinion that books should sell themselves...not the author. Tolkien is a whole other issue though. Theres something really captivating about what drove him to do the things he do.

Sorry...this would be the grumpy book seller coming out...but not out of the closet...as I personally prefer the opposite sex...

lol

On a side note this morning while cycle counting product my manager paged over the PA to let me know that he was logged out of a number i needed access to by saying "Nicci, I'm out!"

to which I responded over same pa system "like.....dumbledore out?"

it had to be done
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea what she was thinking really... the whole thing seemed a bit pointless.

Weird kid for asking the questions as I was never bothered about Dumbledore or any of the other teachers love lives.

So not quite sure why she decided to out the poor chap now... I mean the books are aimed at kids and while they should be brought up to know that there is nothing wrong with gay people I just don't get why out of all the characters she choose Dumbledore.

Suppose it never came out before as the tabloids and/or the Christian right wingers would have been suggesting Dumbledore was grooming Harry....
NicciM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was harry I'd want to be groomed too...

oh..you mean harry potter?
Tk421

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a thing on yahoo news about it (so it must be true right?). Apparently she saw a part in the script of the newer movie about dumbledor going gooey eyed over some woman and that made her point it out.
Grace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*groan* Is the entire world crazy, or is it just me? Hardline Christians in America (of course...) are now calling for Potter books to be boycotted or even banned because they encourage the sin of homosexuality.
For goodness sake! Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: