James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Same world different Author
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Writing The Raven
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Same world different Author Reply with quote

James how would you feel if someone came up with an unrelated story set in Balaia but with totally new characters? So as to keep everything that you've written pure "Raven".

Not that i have an idea or anything but i've always wondered what it would be like to do one and what your response would be!

Manty - suffering with Man Flu
Jen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manty are you thinking like fan fiction or something more serious like another published author using the universe?
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

either really
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think james or any author would allow another publisher writer to mess with their "intellectual property" they may wish to come back to their own world in the future if other ideas dry up. and on that note if they read any fan fiction based on their world it leaves them open to legal action if for some reason what they wrote in the future had any links to said fan fiction....its usually a no no!!

but im sure james will clarify his position, this is just what i have heard from other authors
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very wary of it. Giving another author licence to publish in a world you've created inevitably changes the make-up of that world. Unless I had strict editorial control, I wouldn't even think of allowing it. As the General said, I might want to come back to the world myself and I don't want to be referring to someone else's work before I write mine...

I don't really have a problem with fan fiction. Stuff written for fun is just that and so long as there is no commercial gain, it's pretty much harmless. I never read it, though.

James
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer.
melvish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmenion wrote:
i dont think james or any author would allow another publisher writer to mess with their "intellectual property"

I know you surely know alot more than me what author thinks about this question but don't forget some a willing to let other continue their work.
Pierre Pevel(Knight of Wielstadt) and Alexandre Duma (Trois Mousquetaires) come out of my head.

If I would be an author I think I would be on the "don't mess with my work" side. So I can fully understand.

But what about a RPG setting in Balaia? Ed Greenwood did not wrote everything in ForgotenRealm even if sparked out of his head (although he supervised most of the work).

Last edited by melvish on Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgotten Realms is an oddball in the industry in that you have one big world in whihc quite a few writers (Greenwood, Salvatore etc) all tinker and play. Howvere, the stories all tend to be insular and rarely reference one another, for obvious reasons.

Raymond Feist has also allowed other writers to play in his world (Midkemia) though they've, so far, only been collaborations.

We used to have a RPG on the old version of the forum but it died a death, which was a shame since I was a guy with a big axe. Always wanted to be a guy with a big axe... Very Happy
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see an rpg based on Balaia etc. I've had vague enquiries in the past but, as they say, the rights remain unsold...
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't really have a problem with fan fiction. Stuff written for fun is just that and so long as there is no commercial gain, it's pretty much harmless. I never read it, though.

Is there Raven fan fiction out there? I'd hate to find some dodgy slash fiction....
Rudaras Stronghelm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgotten realms are good books Very Happy just reading homeland about drizzt Very Happy
And there have been several unofficial role plays run on balaia. Not games like DragonQuest or anything, but forum ones, but they have all been closed down now, on account of them being finished.
They were quite good, and I myself got involved in one of them.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, sir!
Rudaras Stronghelm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hola Very Happy i myself am a forgotten realms fanatic Embarassed and have read all the books cept darkwalker Mr. Green
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is Raven fan fiction out there. You have to dig deep (or have a link sent to you) but it's there.
Rudaras Stronghelm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mountofxetesk.ndo.co.uk/fiction.htm

some stupid thing about "a fifth college" Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Writing The Raven All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: