James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Eddings Book - SPOILERS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rudaras Stronghelm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: David Eddings Book - SPOILERS Reply with quote

Being a fantasy nut, I have seen it upon myself to read lots of fantasy. So now I have read both the Belgariad, mallorean and the first series of the books with Sparhawk in them (can't remember what they're called), I decided to reccomened them to some people. Has anybody else read thse books, and if so what were their opinions on them?
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the Belgariad and quite enjoyed it in a quaint sort of way but I suspect that the truth is there's a lot better fantasy out there and I'm fairly sure he's not held in too high esteem by other members of this forum......... Crying or Very sad
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... how to do this without turning into a flame thread... Twisted Evil

'The Belgariad' was good, for when it was written and that was a long time ago. It was funny, light and bouncy, moved along at a decent pace and you didn't have to concentrate too much. Good, bubble-gum fantasy, if somewhat odd with its morals... but, that's an argument for another day. For what it was, it was good and sold hideously well. I loved reading about the exploits of Silk and his silver tongue... Very Happy

Then came 'The Mallorean' which was 'The Belgariad' again under another name. Same style... same characters... same plot. Major no-no but it still sold well because by now Eddings was rather popular thanks to the first lot. Fair enough, we all have to make a living... Confused

Sparkhawk and 'The Elenium' and 'The Tamuli'. Er... ok, take a few character models from the first series of books you do, take a similar generic plot, mix the two together and add the name "Eddings" and you have what these were. Read them on holiday after renting them from the library; buy them and you'll feel ripped off. Sad

'The Redemption of Althalus'. Here, Eddings takes his penchant for repeating plotlines in series by actually telling the same story twice in one book. Bah! Oh, and you'll feel like you know the characters because, well, they're straight from 'The Belgariad' and so forth, only they have different names. But, I do admit, it passed an afternoon harmlessly so what the hell... Rolling Eyes

'The Dreamers'... oh dear. This should never have seen print. Ever. If I were a vanity publisher I still wouldn't have put this into print. If you haven't read it, do not bother unless you really are a die-hard Eddings fan or unless you have lost a dare. I found the first two books awful, gave up, didn't go back. Foul stuff... Evil or Very Mad
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told you! Laughing
Grace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I rather liked The Redemption of Althalus... but then I've never read any other Eddings so I would know if it's a rip or not. Very Happy
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... I envy you Wink
Grace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the big question: Is it worth me reading any of the others now, or is it a case of picking only one or they all seem awful?
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at 'Pawn of Prophecy', its the first book from 'The Belgariad'. If you like that one, which you probably will if you liked Althalus, then keep going from there.

However, don't bother picking up any of the Dreamers books. It'll only encourage him and he has enough on his plate right now... Razz
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drizzle how could you!!! Sparhawk rules!!!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll rephrase... the Sparhawk books are definitely in a class all of their own... Twisted Evil
Wulfa_Coldheart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddings does tend to get a bad rep on most fantasy sites and I think it's a little unfair. Sure all his books are the same and apart from The Dreamers, they are all quite enjoyable.

Many now see Eddings as YA (young adult) material and in fact The Belgariad now appears in a YA format. His books were some of the first fantasy books I read as a teenager and I loved them. They will always have a fond place in my heart and because of this I do find it hard to be critical of them. I've read the Belgarion and Sparhawk books a couple of times, but not in the last few years but I know I'll read them again for nostalgia reasons if nothing else.

The Redemption of Althalus, for a fan at least, was kinda like a best of book. All the usual character types were present and so was the usual story. Never-the-less I did enjoy it.

The Dreamers... I have the first two books, but I found them to be poorly written and the storyline just didn't excite me.

I think for a newcomer to fantasy, Eddings is a great introduction. But fantasy writing has moved on a great deal since the 70s and there is a lot more out there.
Malop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drizzt, in the words of a number of Eddings characters

"Be nice"

But I agree about Althus and dreamers Wink
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
Parmenion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've commented on the dreamer series elsewhere...and the summary of it is: its the biggest pile of repetetive rubbish i have ever read...its a shame that he felt he needed to write this series...he should have retited after the pants called redemption of althalus
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wulfa_Coldheart wrote:
His books were some of the first fantasy books I read as a teenager and I loved them.

Same here - at least, for 'The Belgariad'. After Tolkien I moved onto Brooks, and from there to Eddings and on it went from there... as I've said, they were good when they were written but as you say, fantasy has moved on now. I doubt the books, submitted now, would see print. Eddings was in the right place at the right time, but his failure to move on or evolve as a writer has badly hurt his reputation. This may be unfair, but the guy should have moved on a bit to keep his stuff fresh. He didn't and now we're stuck with 'The Dreamers' which has been universally slated as some of the worst stuff ever to be printed and only ever saw the light of day because of the Eddings brand. On the other hand, it just goes to show how popular 'The Belgariad' was if, 30 years on, he's riding the crest of that wave.

There is only so much of the same stuff, churned out book after book, I can take. Fantasy readers are a lot mroe demanding nowadays, which has given birth to some terrific stuff over the last few years - Lynch, Abercrombie (haven't read yet, but I hear good things), Martin, our very own James... the list goes on. There's a lot of stuff out there which is a lot better than what Eddings can offer.
Rudaras Stronghelm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I agree the plots are basically all the same, and whats the one about the twins, where one dies,a nd the other kills the rapist who killed her? its a pretty good book, anyhow.
And after reading the reviews on the dreamers I never even bothered to read one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: