James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Reply with quote

One of the advantages of being self-employed is that you can take a couple of hours off in the middle of a working day to go to the cinema when it is less crowded. I don't do it very often as I genuinely can't remember the last film I went to see but I am enormously glad that I did today! Very Happy

Far and away the best one so far, the fact that the leading characters seem to have got the hang of this acting lark is a big help! Big fans of the book will notice a lot of changes but it hangs together very well indeed and I think it did a better job than the book of conveying the menace, threat and sheer terror of a re-invigorated Voldemort. The sets are truly spectacular (just marvel at the Ministry of Magic!), the action sequences stunning and all our old favourites give excellent performances with Snape, Lucius Malfoy and Sirius Black being particularly good.

I made me laugh, it made me cry (in roughly equal measure!) and the new characters Delores Umbridge, Belatrix Lestrange, Nymphadora Tonks and Luna Lovegood all fit in seemlessly - especially Evanna Lynch who plays Luna Lovegood who was wonderful and who, despite my advancing years, I think I've fallen in love with! Laughing

Fans will love it and even the naysayers will find that it is a remarkably good film if they remove their blinkers for long enough! I loved it to bits, will almost certainly go and see it again and I commend this film to the forum! Laughing
Lizzy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a programme on the making of it at the weekend. Luna looked very well cast as did Belatrix.

I plan to go and see it.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Mark D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was severly disappointed myself.

Lots of important (imho) things left out from the book. i.e the entire section about the House of Black, the other rooms in the department of mysteries etc.

Things moved too quickly timewise, and things had been moved around in weird orders.

dont get me wrong the special effects were great, the battle scene at the end was awesome. but nothing how i expected it to be. they even added scenes that didnt appear in the book like harry dreaming about Voldemort being on the station as he leaves for hogwarts!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will be going after the weekend - we've foolishly planned a BBQ (and as I type this, it's raining rather heavily...). Crying or Very sad
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark D wrote:
I was severly disappointed myself.

Lots of important (imho) things left out from the book. i.e the entire section about the House of Black, the other rooms in the department of mysteries etc.

Things moved too quickly timewise, and things had been moved around in weird orders.

I get where you're coming from Mark but I guess it depends on your expectations. If they'd followed the book the film would have been 8 hours long! Laughing There is so much story in the book that they had to leave a lot out and indeed put bits in to make the film flow and, on the whole, I think they did a good job.

I can't imagine too many people watching the film haven't also read the books but thinking back, if you hadn't read the books you'd be hard pushed to realize that Sirius had actually departed this mortal coil.

Anyway, wouldn't do for us all to be the same and happily, the world is big enough for differing opinions! Very Happy
squiz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good i cant wait to see it. I watched that making of programme and they said it took like 8 months to build the ministry of magic and it amounts to 10 minutes of actual footage in the film ! 8 months work for 10 minutes showing time is crazy !

I agree about having to cut stuff out, ive been watching the previous films to remind me of whats going on. Ive read the books as well but this ways quicker ! I think half of why harry potter is succesful in a book is the school and lesson scenes where not much is going on story wise, but its interesting anyway. All this has to be cut from the films which bassically makes them action thrillers with a who dunnit aproach. This is fine, but it pisses alot of people who have read the books off.
Selik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was meant to have seen it on Friday, but i'm ill so I missed it. Was wondering... did they include the bit where Harry sees Snape bullied as a kid?
Mark D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they do! now, im totally straight and comfortable with my sexuality enough to say that young snape looks pretty hot haha
Surprised

its fairly short though, i only notice james and snape, forgot to look for sirius and lupin. and wormtail for that matter. but i think they were all there.

also, Tonks looks really good too Wink a good portrayal of the character in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw it at the weekend...there were 4 kids in a packed screening..LOL..any way, it was ok, it really came over as a middle film...no real ending just a set up for the next film
Mark D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i agree, its going to be like pirates of the carribean 2, or LOTR two towers..kind of a bridge to the ending.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad they've included that bit. I was hoping that they would do.
Kerela

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also watched it and I liked it Very Happy in fact that surprised me as the 5th book was the one I liked least, just because it was so terribly long and had so much terribly unimportant and boring information. But it was all left out in the movie Very Happy OK, I also missed some other scenes, and you propably won't understand the movie, if you haven't read the book, but anyway I lived it Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's also true for me. I wasn't sure the movie would turn out as I was bored by the book, but I really liked the movie.

Now... when is film six due? Razz
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, next year, according to Imdb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: