James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pan's Labyrinth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Pan's Labyrinth Reply with quote

Went to see this with Lou over the festive period and I recommend it to one and all..!!

It's in Spanish with English subtitles but don't let that scare you, this is an excellent film. The only way I can describe it is it's a child's fairytale made for adults. DO NOT take kids to see it - there's some quite nightmarish scenes and a couple of very violent scenes.

The acting's great, the effects are excellent and the story's good too.
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the above, though it seems few people are actually interested or even know of the movie.

For those who don't know about it I've got a synopsis off imdb...

"Pan's Labyrinth" is the story of a young girl that travels with her pregnant mother to live with her mother's new husband in a rural area up North in Spain, 1944. After Franco?s victory. The girl lives in an imaginary world of her own creation and faces the real world with much chagrin. Post-war Fascist repression is at its height in rural Spain and the girl must come to terms with that through a fable of her own.

It's actually rated 15... and apparently it's been banned in Malaysia. Razz It's not that bad!
Kerela

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, sounds interesting, but here I've never heard of it Confused . I'll watch out for it Smile .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's banned in Malaysia?? Yikes...

I'm buying it once it's out on DVD for definite...
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have had something to do with certain gratuitous scenes within the barn storeroom. Then again there are plenty of war movies far worse that haven't been banned, but I guess it depends how the Malaysian film ratings work.

Definately a DVD must though.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Just bought this on DVD. The release was kept very quiet, but it's out now so gwt yourselves out to buy it! Very Happy
Selik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even 'get' yourselves out to buy it Wink . And I didn't know it was out yet, though I probably should have the amount of time I spend on IMDB.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, tis out and I've already watched it. Had to exchange the disc once and the curreent one still won't play on the normal DVD player. It either plays on my laptop or I have to hook up the ps2 downstairs, which is what I did.
Tk421

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just watched it... and I agree. It's one of the best looking movies I've seen in a while. The creature with eyes in his hands looks really good for example. I was kind of stunned at the ending even when I saw it coming, which I guess is a good thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: