James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently reading <cont 2>
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malop

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Currently reading <cont 2> Reply with quote

Posted by Kerela

A collection of Oscar Wilde's Plays. Just finished Lady windermere's Fan, next is A woman of no importance.
I like Oscar Wilde ^^
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished 'Swordspoint' by Ellen Kushner last night. Pretty good book, far better than some other stuff I've read quite recently.

It's one of the books on the recommended reads lists which the Write Fantastic produced and it's well wirth the couple of quid I managed to get it for. Considering it was first published back in the 80s it's surprisingly risque; bisexuality wasn't exactly rife in fantasy back then. Or now... In fairness, the homosexual side of the book is written remarkable feminine tenderness. You believe in the couple because they come across as exactly that.

It's well written, character driven, with loads of laughs. For me, it loses its way a little and eventually fizzles away with little drama but to be honest it's the characters, and their flaws, who drive what plot there isand they're realised well enough to keep you reading through the flatter parts.
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished The Taken by Sarah Pinborough, more horror/supernatural than fantasy but I quite enjoyed it. Well written and kept you turning the page to find out what happened next though as a bit of a stick-in-the-mud I could have done without the Americanisms such as 'gotten', 'garbage' and 'tires' though as this is predominantly the market she is writing for and selling to you can't really blame her! Well worth a read! Very Happy
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started 'Chronicle of the Planeswalkers: Part Zero' by BT Robertson.
Selik

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the one with the flaming sword on the front cover?
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the boy!
Mark D

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started David Eddings' series 'The Belgariad'.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark D wrote:
Just started David Eddings' series 'The Belgariad'.

Ah, the series that got me into fantasy, back when I was a wee teenager!!! Hope you enjoy it, I know Eddings gets a bit of a bashing on the 'Net (especially his latest stuff), but I still have a soft spot for Gariom, Ce'Nedra and Kheldar.

I'm re-reading Trudi Canavan's first trilogy - the Black Magician series.
Grace

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Orwell - 1984.

(The Black Magician trilogy is great!)
Parmenion

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the whale road recently...damn good book, i dont read much on vikings but this was a fun read.

Have just started Generals by Simon Scarrow..follow up to Young bloods, ..i started it sat night and had to stop myself reading so i got some sleep, was up to 3am on sunday am, then had the twitches most of sunday wanting to get back to it...but her who must be obeyed had me doing gardening...psssissshhh!!...flipping good book and a brilliant series.
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy recomended this back in April (was going to quote but the topic is locked!) and I too have just finished Heart Shaped box by Joe Hill and like Lizzy I couldn't put it down. The story hooks you pretty much from page one and holds on to you right up to the end! Very Happy

An excellent debut novel and I look forward to reading moreof his work.
sir robin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished 'the sum of all men' I'm glad i did get it from Derby as it's a fantastic read.

the way he sets the book reminds me of '24' though.

But onto book 2. 'brotherhood of the wolf.'
Lizzy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished Lady Friday by Garth Nix. It's the 5th book in the Keys to the Kingdom series. Aimed at children, I find it very funny, his imagination is brilliant. If you don't know it, we live in the seconadry realms and the House is the centre of the Universe, created by the Architect and run by Denizens. She divided up her Will and her Kingdom and gave them to the 7 Trustees to look after.

Arthur, a boy from the secondary realms, is the Rightful Heir to the Keys but has to win them back from each trustee, each book is each trustee, Mr Monday, Grim Tuesday, Drowned Wednesday, Sir Thursday and now Lady Friday.

With characters such as the Winged Servants of the Night, with names like Turned Wingfeather Flies Surprisinly Well, Ferocious Slayer of the Pre-Dawn and Suzy Turquoise Blue it is great fun. If you like Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl books you'll probably like these.

I also like the fact that each Trustee is one of the seven deadly sins. I think Lady Friday was envy.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have enjoyed this series of books, very clever idea and imaginatively written though to be honest (and I can't put my finger on why) I did just think that Lady Friday didn't work quite as well as the others - that said I'll be in the queue with everyone else when Superior Saturday is published! Laughing
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And talking of Artemis Fowl, I've just finished Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony which is now out in paperback - excellent! To my mind his best since the original Artemis Fowl. Features a very cute demon which is a bit of a contradiction in terms but No. 1 is cute, no other word for it! Very good read, highly recommended! Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: