James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spiderman 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Spiderman 3 Reply with quote

I went to see this last night and it's not too bad at all. There's a hell of a lot going on with more characters than before all being given a lot of focus, rather than just Peter Parker.

I've never read the comics so I can't say how it does as an adaptation of those, so I'll look at it as a movie in its own right.

On the surface, this is a good romp. The CGI effects are amazing, especially for The Sandman, if a bit too quick in places. Quite often the action is so fast it's hard to pick out what's going on, and this was on a 20ft screen..!!

If you go in and just want to enjoy the eye candy, you'll have a good time. The final battle is really good and it's cool to see Spidy and Venom having at it.

If you want something a bit deeper, Sam Raimi has included quite a bit into all of the characters and the nature of choice and, maybe, redemption. He's relied a little too much on using people crying to portray emotion (there's is a LOT of crying) and, through how the characters are protrayed, it's not easy to like anyone too much. Everyone's a lot more flawed than in the previous couple of movies and, oddly, the guy I liked the most was The Sandman; not because of the cool effects, but his story is an interesting one which I would have liked to see more on.

Overall, it's a good watch. It's not perfect, the acting's a bit odd in places and the dancing - yes, the dancing - is (intentionally) cringe-worthy. The crying gets a bit annoying and it's maybe a little long. But, there's a few laughs (the scene with the pills is hilarious), the effects are well done (should be, the movie cost something like $250 million) and there's enough in there to satisfy anyone wanting an eye candy action flick, or something a bit deeper. It has feet in both camps, it just has trouble deciding which it wants to be at times.
Ry_Darrick

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw this last night

good for action, but very very frustrating, the end just drags on which really was annoying when the final battle should have just been the end. also the worst part was the amount of time spent where there was no dialogue, all peter parker ever does is just wander around and look at people, there were whole scenes where there was no plot development, and only a tiny bit of character development..

if they had trimmed the fat properly, this would have been more enjoyable...
Drizzt

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... this is the wrong film to watch if you're after a solid plot. Very Happy
Max Power

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it, especially the pills scene! The ending was dealt with badly for me, but like Drizzt I liked the whole Sandman concept. I wasn't as convinced with what happened to the Ed Vrook character, but it was good at the time.

I have to say though, I really dislike Peter Parker. He's either too damn perfect and annoying, or really bad at being bad!!!
Tk421

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when they weren't fighting they were crying. For me the whole thing dragged on a bit too long. It wasn't bad, just wasnt a movie I could go and rave about to people. And this is without getting into the little comic adaptation niggles...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: