James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pathfinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parmenion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Pathfinder Reply with quote

this is one im looking forward too: Pathfinder

A Viking boy is left behind after his clan battles a Native American tribe. Raised within the tribe, he ultimately becomes their savoir in a fight against the Norsemen

http://imdb.com/title/tt0446013/

one for Selik me thinks??? Very Happy
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, sounds interesting, although there weren't any battles between them like there were on mainland Europe, mainly because the Natives weren't christian.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we sure about that, when the viking set up in vineland why did they not stay and flourish?
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some did stay, but in comparison with the already evolving and progressing areas of Europe, America had very little to offer in terms of riches so other than farming, there'd have been little point in their making any real invasion.
The Natives weren't hostile towards Pagans either, with thier own traditional beliefs, and it was the hostility towards non-christians that played such a major factor in the invasions throughout Europe.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but most of the norse invasions were about land i thought, they wanted farming land and wood, somthing in short supply back hiome so they spread out looking for other land to take, thats what they wanted britain for. Ok so gold was less, but there was no where to spend it so who cared.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Americas is a long way to go for wood...
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its wasnt back then, for a people who's economy was based around timber. Houses and boats were built from it, in their own country it could be scarce and what was there was owned and protected, imagine somewhere that they could get as mush as they wanted potentialy without a fight (or so they thought) where there were only savages with flint weapons to fight off. They must have thought it valhalla ...without the fighting Very Happy
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... imagine the cost of sailing to and from the Americas. Immense. But, hey, the Vikings loved to explore and sail and were probably the greatest ocean voyagers in history before the British Empire took over a quarter of the planet. Should be an interesting movie.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my main concern is in the movie poster i saw an indian...sorry ntive american swinging a steel sword!! *cough* so might be a little bit off factual...i just hope its not another Arthur..
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur was canny!

Is Pathfinder being made by the US? If it is, well, considering they had Ben Affleck near enough win the second world war on his own, I'll not be expecting too much by way of facts and accuracy. But then again I don't go to the movies to be educated! Razz
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its all US follow the link to their web site (ive not had time yet)
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a look once I get home.
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that the Vikings did need new land and would have had necessity for much wood, and whilst you're right in saying that back then sailing to America wouldn't have been too far for them, in terms of ease, there was much more choice for them closer to home.
Also, think about the difference in climate. Vikings are used to herding and hunting, not agriculture. Granted Alaska may have been a good place, but for the Vikings there are countries closer to home, with plenty of land for herding, hectares of woodland and a climate that is similar to their own.
Though latterly Germanic and Viking tribes people did have to convert to land farming and it didn't see them very well to begin with.

I think in truth there were a variety of reasons why the Vikings began their raids: Lack of land, a need for extra materials for trading/crafting purposes and their retaliation for the christian slaughter which began I believe just South of Denmark.
All put together, it gives them an excellent reason for invasion. Take back from the christians what was taken from them, take their land and their riches with them too. The Vikings benefit in all areas.

And a Native American wielding a steel sword? Hmm, sounds like the American's are using their trademark historical accuracy again. Razz
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know actually when I first saw this film title, I thought it'd be a second world war film or something. Laughing Right again, eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: