James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nugent for England?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Nugent for England? Reply with quote

Shocked

What? Does big Steve pick names from hats now??
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a fine player but only in the Championship so far. I remember Steve Bull not performing at all well on the international stage having been a div 2 player all his career.

We'll see. Johnson and Rooney should be the starters on a nervy Saturday evening in Tel Aviv...
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's assuming we play with two strikers. After all, we're playing away against the might of Israel; Mclaren may decide to opt for the safe 5-4-1 with Crouch up front to hold the ball up... I dunno, at the moment it's as if his decisions are being influenced by a child's team on FIFA Soccer or something.
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Think he might be playing championship manager too. Either that or he's getting visions.

Crouch isn't there... broken nose, I think. We are many strikers light, what with Owen injured and Bent unfit. Hence Nugent... I'd love to see Johnson up front. Think the boss might go for a 4-4-1-1 style jobbie with rooney tucked in behind the central striker.
Max Power

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson or Defoe should be given a chance. I think it's a little sad state of affairs that our sixth (or seventh?) choice striker is playing in the Championship, but if I was being generous, I guess I could say that this shows that the U21s team has players of great potential and that the progression to the senior team works. Pity Walcott's star seems to have declined as he has great potential, but looking back, Sven made a major mistake promoting him so early in his career.

As an aside, I'm so pleased to see that Jamie Carragher seems set for a starting spot, even though it's at full back. He has, without doubt, been our (Liverpool) best player this season, and I firmly believe he is the best out and out defender England have.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i was abroad and missed this but i heard the collective wrath of the england suporters in florida so assume we sucked big time?
Max Power

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again a por performance from an underachieving team. McClaren must get more out of Lampard in particular, and Gerrard to an extent. Rooney was also poor, trying desperately to shoot from ridiculous positions. There was no invention, it was played at a slow 'European' pace, and the performance hid the fact that Israel are not a good team. England should be at least three goals better than them every day.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have the biggest belly laugh of my life when Andorra defeat us. It's going to be excellent.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
England midfielder Frank Lampard has been ruled out of the Euro 2008 qualifier against Andorra on Wednesday due to a cracked bone in his wrist.

The 28-year-old suffered the injury during training on Monday when he was struck by a Wayne Rooney shot.

But the injury is worse than was first thought and Lampard will not feature at Espanyol's Olympic Stadium.

Stewart Downing is expected to step in to the midfield on the left, with Aaron Lennon playing wide on the right.

Ashley Cole is back from suspension and will replace Jamie Carragher at left-back, while Micah Richards is set to step in at right-back in place of Phil Neville.

so we lose jamie for ashley cole who is not playing well, but at least we lose P neville who is a donkey.
the loss of frank is no bad think, but to replace with downing is not a good idea he has not proved to be useful at international level yet.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he can't prove himself against Andorra, he should emigrate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Sport All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: