James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

www.barclaytalkssport.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-a-side football is faster and more testing on the endurance than any basketball game.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell me aboutit i played last night for 1 hour...non stop running no breaks, no pauses nothing...damn in knackered!!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Sunday gone - first match since before Xmas. Biy did those roast dinners catch up with me..!!
Futre4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this argument about how footballers are lazy and dotn work hard compared to others - namely American sports , firstly , most baseball players have massive guts, many american footballers are the size of small garages and they have squads so massive that they line right up down the side of the pitch, hockey is a great example I love ice hockey , the NHL is awsome , but people always use the argument that they play 82 games a season , correction THE TEAM plays 82 games a season most players hit the ice for around 15 minutes a game and they have multiple lines, attachking lines, penalty kill , defensive ALL using different players, ALL American sports are broken into several periods also. Top flight Footballers play upwards of 60 games a seaon for 90 minutes a game, not including tornaments post season. The skill factor has to be high otherwise they would be discovered very quickly at the highest level , in many sports being able to run fast or being the size of a fridge or indeed having one good arm is enough to make you famous football isnt one of them, im not just dumping on american sports here , I just find most sports where there is point after point tedious , many people laugh at FOOTBALL (not soccer) as it is boring , id rather watch a tactical game for 89 minutes then get ONE hard fought goal which has been skillfully won , rather than a match in which it is 89-90 and the goals all look the same and the commentator is so bored by the amount of goals his voice doesnt even move up one octave when a point is scored. In a match where there is over a hundred points then the process of scoring is surely a dilluted even t???. In basketball it can hit the rim or maybe go straight in , thats about it , with football it can be driven off the bar, chipped over the keeper lashed in of a post, football is the greatest and most skillful sport in the word , millions cant be wrong , oh and dont get me started on cricket!!.

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Max Power

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the great thing about (English football) is you get mismatches in the cup competitions that produce great games/results. Wycombe last week (not tonight!), Forest get a pop at Chelsea at the weekend, and if I say "Ronnie Radford" it conjurs images for those of us who weren't even alive then!

I have never seen in American sport one of the big teams play a smaller team, because the playing field (horrible place for a pun!) is different over there. Franchises rule, and can be moved from city to city. That's the wonderful thing about football (MK Dons apart), that your team stays where it is and local people connect with local players. Look at Gerrard and Carragher at Liverpool for example. In America they would never have stayed at their local franchise because money rules, whereas in England emotion and loyalty still (just about) rules - especially in the lower leagues.
sir robin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not quite true. The exception in the nfl is in green bay the city owns the team not a corporate franchise.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But true enough... Razz
sir robin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed but then i'm waiting for man u to head that way
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the move to a new stadium in Weardale is eagerly anticipated.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the wimbledon debacle put paid to franchises over here, they still have not revovered a great fan base.
sir robin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but then the dons aren't owned by a money hungry american.
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote:
5-a-side football is faster and more testing on the endurance than any basketball game.

Now there i'd definately have to disagree with you. I wouldn't say that basketball requires more endurance, but I'd say that it requires equal endurance. At least it did when I played.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played both and 5-a-side has always pushed me more... though I prefer playing it more... or maybe my poor ball control means I have to chase the ball more than I should..!! Razz
Parmenion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good 5 a side player is never still always moving always looking for space, but basket ball allows time to stop and pass, 5 a side is pass and move constantly.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our busiest player tends to be our 'keeper... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Sport All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: