James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Song of Ice and Fire on TV HBO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Song of Ice and Fire on TV HBO Reply with quote

Read this...this is excellent news, for fans of the work and fantasy as a whole!!

HBO has acquired the rights to turn George R.R. Martin's bestselling fantasy series "A Song of Fire & Ice" into a dramatic series to be written and exec produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
"Fire" is the first TV project for Benioff ("Troy") and Weiss ("Halo") and will shoot in Europe or New Zealand. Benioff and Weiss will write every episode of each season together save one, which the author (a former TV writer) will script.

The series will begin with the 1996 first book, "A Game of Thrones," and the intention is for each novel (they average 1,000 pages each) to fuel a season's worth of episodes. Martin has nearly finished the fifth installment, but won't complete the seven-book cycle until 2011.

The author will co-exec produce the series along with Management 360's Guymon Casady and Created By's Vince Gerardis.

Martin's series has drawn comparisons to J.R.R. Tolkien, because both are period epics set in imagined lands. But Martin has eschewed Tolkien's good-vs.-evil theme in favor of flawed characters from seven noble families.

The book has a decidedly adult bent, with sex and violence comparable to series like "Rome" and "Deadwood."

"They tried for 50 years to make 'Lord of the Rings' as one movie before Peter Jackson found success making three," Martin said. "My books are bigger and more complicated, and would require 18 movies. Otherwise, you'd have to choose one or two characters."

Aside from writing the most recent draft of "Halo," Weiss recently adapted the William Gibson novel "Pattern Recognition" for WB and director Peter Weir.

Benioff and Weiss were repped by CAA and Management 360.
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most excellent news General P but Drizzle beat ya too it.

i cant wait to see who they get to play the characters........
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... beat you to posting this Robin buy, hey, who cares so long as they DO get to make this..!!
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you notice they changed the name of the series already to "A Song of Fire & Ice"!!

thats how i used to say it until recently!
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... who knows what might change. The books won't all be done until 2011 - assuming Martin stays on course - so it'll take decades for the series!! Razz
Saxx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope Jon Snow and The Hound are done right!
Farseer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main concern would be the casting of Tyrion. If they got that wrong it would be devastating. Im looking forward to the series a lot but im really sceptical that they will pull it off. surely it will be too hard to cover all the characters in a tv show.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the only way. They could never, ever get it done properly in movies. And you're right, Tyrion's casting will be crucial.
Saxx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a cool dwarf fella in Nip/Tuck that i saw, he got it on with Shauns wife. Rough him up a bit and he could do it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: