James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Perseverance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Writing The Ascendants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adamkkk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Perseverance Reply with quote

James, i just wanted to ask you, how do you persevere in writing such an epic - what techniques do you use to motivate yourself?
Also, is there any particular environment in which you prefer to write?

-And just quickly, what should we expect of book two of the ascendants?
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam,

Really sorry to have left this one so long. I hope you're still around to read it.

It's in the early stages that you have to motivate yourself, I find. Just try and make sure enough time is spent in front of the PC to give yourself a chance to get the words down. And enough thinking time too, to make sure your direction is good. I really struggled in the early stages of book two in particular because there were basic things I couldn't get right and they undermined the whole story.

For motivation, I use a reward system. A certain word count brings an afternoon of gaming, or a pub lunch or something like that. It does work to a point. Other than that, I used to ring or go and visit Dave Gemmell but that sadly is no longer possible.

I have words stuck to the wall above my desk... the essence of heroism 'There is always something that can be done', five tenets of heroic fantasy 'Love, Friendship, Honour, Courage, Redemption' Both of these are to provide focus and both come from the Gemmell school. And to stop me feeling sorry for myself: 'Adapt & Overcome' The words Viggo Mortensen had above his mirror when filming LOTR.

What I always find is that there is a tipping point somewhere along the line where the book reaches critical momentum and then no more motivation is required. Working for that moment is motivating in itself as reaching it means that the writing process is about to become an absolute pleasure.

I have no particular favourite environment. Deliberately so. I don't want the excuse of 'well I wasn't in my study so obviously I couldn't work'. I believe a writer should be able to write anywhere. To a large extent, I can. I still find the train or the pub are as good as the quiet of my house.

I hope that helps but ask away if you want more detail.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you find the pub a good place...does some of the writing / plot become more boisterous the more you inbibe? or is the pub a tea total affair for writing?
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly isn't a tee-total affair... that would be a waste of a journey to the pub, after all.

I'm never there for all that long if I'm writing. Two pints maximum. I find the atmosphere of a good pub very conducive for some reason and it's all part of the reward system too.

At a slight tangent, I've written one screenplay and half a TV series in pubs with different friends. Both sometimes benefitted from being written there because there's no doubt alcohol oils the creative wheels when I'm writing in partnership. Less inhibition about suggesting something daft which turns out to be genus etc. The only problem with this is the illegible writing that is scribbled on to paper after five pints of Hopback Summer Lightning.

I used to write every day in a local Cafe Nero when I was up in Maida Vale. I might reinstitute that here in Teddington as one of their leather armchairs definitely has my name on it..
Parmenion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another author i know has his own patch in the local starbucks, used for writing so it must be fairly common. (he even gets freebies as they know he is an author...i guess they hope for a mention in the books)

to be honest its not a suprise, we are after all social animals and as such you author types would go nuts stuck in your study all day tapping away, you need to be out there to interact and pick up ideas etc..

so are you going to give us a hint as to the plots for the TV series?? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Writing The Ascendants All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: