James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steven Erikson - Bridgeburners Rock!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Steven Erikson - Bridgeburners Rock!! Reply with quote

I have to put in a thread for Mr Erikson and his Malazan Book of the Fallen series as the books are just amazing.
Whiskeyjack and his squad are the most loveable bunch I've ever read about (with the exception of the obvious - Raven).

The world that Erikson has created is just so immense and realistic. It really is compelling reading. The series doesn't deteriorate as the books progress even though they get larger with each ensuing installment.
My personal favourite has to be the very first book Gardens of the Moon, closely followed by Memories Of Ice.

I'm going to be starting Midnight Tides shortly and must say I'm damn well looking forward to it!

Read these if you like a good mix of action, thought provoking events and amazingly constructed characters. I guarentee (though I'm not giving you any money back) that you will rank these books as one of the best fantasy series ever written.

Bridgeburners Rock!!!! Very Happy
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Jen, I tried, I really tried but I just couldn't get into Gardens of the Moon at all - well written granted but far too complicated for my addled old brain to follow and truth be told I never got to care about any of the characters.

I wanted so much to like the book and Deadhouse Gates is staring at me from my bookshelf but alas it's last in a long list of others.
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to agree with Jen!!!

but then i recommended them to her so.......
Jen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and very glad I am to Manty. Thankful dearest Fry had bought them all and they were kindly waiting on the bookcase Very Happy

Jov, I've come to the conclusion that not every author or series is for everyone. Even if you believe it to be the most amazing thing ever written. I read A Game Of Thrones by George R R Martin and I was just not gripped by it, Fry however absolutely adored it and is now happily tucking into A Clash Of Kings. Different things for different people.
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're almost certainly right Jen - it just worries me a bit that when a book gets such rave reviews I just can't get into it! Crying or Very sad
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a raging argument in the states as to whether Erikson or George RR Martin is the current 'king' of huigh fantasy. For me, Martin's a better writer but I haven't read all of Erikson's stuff yet.
DarrenT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen, if you're enjoying the Malazan books, check out Glen Cook's Black Company series - one of Erikson's major influences, and well worth the effort to buy in from the US.
Saxx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardens of the Moon is fantastic. The characters are awesome, Gannoes, Quick Ben, Anomander and Whiskyjack too name a few. I havent started deadhouse gates yet tho!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: