James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is world building important?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> James' Workshops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Is world building important? Reply with quote

Is it? I thought I'd throw the question out in light of that panel at FanCon.

Basically, for those who weren't there or were too drunk to remember, James was part of a panel supposedly discussing world building. James is an advocate of thoroughly building your world and developing it so you, as a writer, know everything there is to know about it (economy, geography, topography, cultures, races etc) so that you have a framework to assist your writing. This way, your characters have rules and the world (assuming it's a logical world) has rules... simply things like gravity, working economies and the old chestnut that is rivers flowing in the correct directions (downwards).

However, another argument was offered that world building can get in the way of the narrative and a couple of the guys on the panel more or less said they don't bother with it and simply allow the world to develop within the narrative as they go along.

So, where do we stand? Is world building necessary?

For me, personally, I like world building. I like structure and order and rules (wacky and abstract though they may end up being!). I also think that any writer worth their salt should be more than capable of avoiding getting bogged down with details about their world and info dumps - and yes, a couple of them advocated info-dumping which scares me a little. Whatever happened to 'Show, don't Tell'?
Max Power

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World building every time for me. Two examples: firstly, David Eddings, who I know ain't everyone's cup of tea, but if you read the Rivan Codex you get a real sense for the depth of his world, and it comes through in his stories without major info dumps. Secondly, Steven Erikson, who I think is fab! He must have one of the most in depth world building book squirreled away somewhere as there are so many layers it's almost laughable!!! I believe his stories, and think his world is real when I read his book, which is exactly what I want from a fantasy novel.
collingwood

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like structure and order and rules (wacky and abstract though they may end up being!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> James' Workshops All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: