James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

did you have an agent?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Writing Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ilkarelvenmage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: did you have an agent? Reply with quote

Hello,
Realize some of these links aren't accessible anymore.
I am looking to publish short stories. On the Gollancz site, they said that usually they only accept manuscripts from agents. Did you have one, was it difficult?
I have only managed to get small fee on some websites.
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall have to go and weed out the dead links...

Gollancz aren't a short story publisher, by the way. Any anthologies they do will be commissioned and the editor seeks the submissions, often by invitation. It's the same with all the major publishers.

I do have an agent. I had a publishing deal before I approached him so wasn't a risk so I can't really speak to how tricky it is to get one when you're unpublished.

If you're wanting to publish short stories, I doubt an agent will be interested as there is very little money in it and there can be a lot of effort to get a story placed.

Your best bet is to research your market, know who wants submissions and how and go from there. There are plenty of online ezines these days as well as traditional paper publications. It's not an easy market but getting short stories accepted and published is a step to getting noticed and something for your writing cv. Every little really does help when you want to start writing novels...

Good luck.
Ilkarelvenmage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

I see. Yes I have heard and experienced how hard it is, some ezines did accept for awhile and when I talked to friends, they either sent to those that just post up for leisure and had no money back at all. Yea I'll keep trying. I am having trouble reconciling my passion with the job market too :S
Hence I like being lost in translation and alternate realities. Surprisedo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Writing Resources All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: