James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Habbit of Killing Off The Best Characters SPOILERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Styllian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Very Happy

Well I'm new here (as you can probably guess) and after reading the topic it strikes me that no-one's mentioned Styliann's untimely death at the hands of Sha Kaan Sad Am I the only one here who appreciates old crispy?

Also could someone change my name to it's proper spelling please? (Yes I know it was a bad spelling day for me so shoot me >.<)
Max Power

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Styllian, and welcome. I was a big fan of the man himself, and was shocked when he bought it - good way to go if you ask me, though! He could have been a great influence on Balaia if he could have controlled his ego.
Styllian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And murderous tribal killing anger issues, but nobody's perfect. Still, I've gotta say I like him a lot more than Dystran (college theiving dog) though Dystran's a good character in himself.

Perhaps someday the old man's ashes will be collected and settled on the future Lord of the Mount's mantelpiece.
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Styllian.

You know what they say... never stand in front of a dragon with a tickly cough.
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
One of these days, Manty old boy, one of these days...

go on you know you want to!!
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it work if the whole forum starts chanting?
Ozblock!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The characters dieing is the best thing about the raven books in my opinion. It is sometimes so shocking and unexpected that it really makes you feel sad and upset. But then you keep reading and deal with that pain alongside with the rest of the characters still alive and it makes the experience so fulfilling. You truly do get emotional involved and feel a part of the raven. I get bored in books where u know the main characters will never die... Its predictable and monotonous.

By the end of Dawnthief nearly all original members of the raven where dead... and it was awesome!!

Ilkar dieing was such a huge loss, because the whole reason the Raven got involved (and what the whole book was centered on) was to save Ilkar... therefore it was impossible to see that coming... And truly utterly shocking and emotional. Ive read elf sorrow twice and got teary both times lol. That makes James a genius in my opinion.

In my opinion though Darrick died to easy and perhaps I havnt read it in a while, but It didnt seem like his death caused that much of a reaction for the rest of the raven. There was hardly any follow up with his death afterwards. He sort of just disappeared from memory. That upset me because I really liked Darrick.
Shriker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point about the Raven deaths, they are important, and I also see your point about Darrick and am inclined to agree. However I see why it was done like that, it was such an unexpected death and because of the demons they couldn't do anything about it or even find his body, that made it all the more hard for the Raven.
Ozblock!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the raven and deaths... bit of trivia for everyone... does anyone know how many times the "raven prayer" has been said? By the raven prayer i mean the one that goes "by north by east by south by west.... (something along the lines of) Though you have passed on you will not be forgotten and will always be Raven" (I know this isnt exactly right so forgive me... I havnt read the books in about 4 years It was an awesome prayer, really touching I think. I noticed also that as the books went on, the action was getting so hectic that they didnt even have time to say the prayer for everyone that died (I think).

So, does anyone know how many times it has been said?

Personally I have no idea and maybe someone else can tell me haha.
Lizzy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Ozblock!

I have no idea how many times the prayer was said.

Darrick's death, and it's manner just reinforced to me how random battle is and how dying in a battle isn't always in a heroic way.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
wigwam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops sorry for resurrecting an old thread.
Actually I have no problem with the way JB killed off the characters in the books - I thought they all added something to the story - usually pathos or shock value.
If anything it was fitting that Hirad died than another miracle escape.

Okay I know we are in the JB forums here and I won't stray too far but contrast that with, say GRRM who writes a huge novel building up a character - then kills him at the end; then builds up another one in the next book and yep he's dead too. Repeat ad nauseam.
Ilkarelvenmage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Yup Reply with quote

I agree, it is really tragic to read and then find the good guys dying. Maybe this is to show the good have the rewards of spirituality on the other side? I like only the villains dying more mwahhaha. Haven't seen the Ascendants series yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> The Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: