James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Game of Thrones TV series thread (contains spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Power

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: The Game of Thrones TV series thread (contains spoilers) Reply with quote

Episode one has just finished - thoughts?

A goos, solid start, with lots of main characters introduced. The Dany thread seemed more removed than in the books, but the cast looks great, the sets fantastic, and the intrigue to come was clearly laid out. I wonder whether the really subtle references will be missed (the dire wolf with the stag's antler in its neck, for example) by all but the biggest fans, but hey, that's being picky.

I'm really looking forward to Sean Bean's performances throughout, and I think Dany's journey will be portrayed very well. bring on episode two.
Kerela

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really loved it Smile and I liked how they 'translated' some of the stuff into scenes that were inner monolouges in the books, e.g. Arya shooting the bow.

And just the few scenes with Viserys made me already really look forward to his corronation Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Max Power

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerela wrote:
I really loved it Smile and I liked how they 'translated' some of the stuff into scenes that were inner monolouges in the books, e.g. Arya shooting the bow.

And just the few scenes with Viserys made me already really look forward to his corronation Twisted Evil

Harry Lloyd was brilliant as Viserys, wasn't he? Definitely looking forward to that plot line going on, as you say!
wigwam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was an excellent first episode and most of the casting was spot-on. I was a bit uncomfortable that the wedding consummation at the end was made out to be almost a rape whereas in the book (if I can think back to that long ago!) it was a glorious consent-fest....
Viscerys was incredibly dislikable - perfect!
Malop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick reminder that not everyone watching the series has read the books (including me) Confused

Have tagged the thread with spoilers.
Fantasycon 2010 Nottingham (stopped over for lunch)
Fantasycon 2011 Brighton (Is that in France?)
wigwam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks (and apologies)
Maybe we can discuss possible spoiler moments in the thread in the books forum?

I am enjoying it so far! Even SWMBO stayed to watch ep 2
Kerela

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, will be more careful, now.

I'm still enjoying the series, at first I was a bit dissapointed of Dany's storyline because of the changes (the wedding-night and the scene with Viseryis in the last episode) but I'm also re-reading the book right now and must say that it does make sense how they adapted it. In the books she is a bit jumping back and forth: sometimes self-confident then again terribly afraid, realising that Viserys will never be king but still trying to please him...
In the books it does somehow make sense, as we see her thoughts and know e.g. how grateful she is because Viserys told her about the home she never knew.
It is hard to show that all her thoughts on screen, so she'd probably seem a bit insane, too. Changing it to 'slowly becoming more self-confident and accepting her role' does make sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love it, but then i love the books, but the wife.... less so.

Still its been confirmed for a second series!!
Max Power

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The have captured the repressed hatred between the main characters very well. The exchange between Ned and Cersei in ep4 was very good. Roll on the major plot lines, and good for series two, when the story gets really in depth.
Thraun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say I'm loving this series, gutted it's ending this coming weekend - seems to haave flown by!

Roll on Season Two!!
Tk421

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'm going to echo everyone's thoughts here and say "loved every minute of it"

so.. er... Loved every minute of it!

Now maybe we can get more fantasy on Tv done well.
wigwam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT was really interesting watching this with my wife so we had a read-the-book viewer and a GoT virgin - especially for really climactic events like Ned's killing which for her came right out of the blue but I knew was coming. Still really well done though. Cool
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slow start but quickly became compelling and brilliant viewing. Cast, characters, script, sets, music... a fantastic package. Won't add any spoiler stuff but anyone who wants to discuss specifics, please lauch a thread and lace it with warnings...
Max Power

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the title sequence was a notch above most I've seen - a great view of the map, and going to different places as the story developed.
wigwam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess I used to get bored by the start and thought it was too long until I realised (aka someone pointed out to me!) that it went to the places relating to that episode each time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Film, Stage, TV & Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: