James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Names

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Writing The Ascendants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Names Reply with quote

How did you come up with so many good names? They all seem to fit the characters and fit with each other as though they came from the right language and cultural base. Do you have any tips on how to do this?
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good question. Names are a tricky thing. At the risk of sounding glib, I try to use names that just 'sound right'. Actually, that's not as daft as it sounds because I always, these days anyway, speak the names out loud. If I trip over them, I bin them.

That process comes after much musing and jotting of possibles. What I did with the Ascendants was link styles of name to country. Hence Davarov, Shakarov, Yuran and Mardov among others in Atreska/Gestern because I wanted an Eastern Eurpoean feel. And in Estorea/Caraduk, I wanted greco-roman styles, hence Del Aglios, D'Allinnius, Vasselis etc. Obviously not all names conform to type but that's as it should be.

I think, at least when you have experience, you know in your heart what is right as soon as you see it on paper. The speaking out loud is a final filter. A name needs to scan well... Roberto Del Aglios is a classic case in point. And one from the new book for you; Julius Barias.

For the Ascendants themselves, I delved into the history of the Ascendancy and hence the names are a little more unusual because I wanted to set them apart.

I'd be interested in names people thought worked particularly well for their characters and those that didn't. A name, I think, can say much about a character and it can be a chicken and egg thing. Paul Jhered was not originally going to be such a central figure. But he just grew and grew and I think his name... punchy and as unmistakeable as he is... has something to do with why he came to be such a dominant figure.
Ry_Darrick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of paul jhered, this probably only applies to me but as soon as I heard the name i thought "herod", its not something you associate with the character for me but it just kept popping into my mind whenever Jhered did anything harsh or strict. So yeah, I love the naming of Paul Jhered.
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it wasn't just you. I thought of Herod, too.
Grace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too 0.o

Thanks James. Very Happy
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jhered - Herod, eh? I can see it, I suppose but it wasn't a deliberate pick for that reason. And fortunately, Jhered isn't the sort to toss babies on to spears etc etc. Although no doubt the thought crossed his mind every time he spoke to Gorian... Smile
Lizzy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't make the link. I do, however see him looking like David Gemmell. This was reinforced at F'con by the stories told about him. Esp Ariel's anecdote about the word bouncers use to stop trouble which David told him.

The word is 'Enough' said with calm force. That sounds like something Jhered would say.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Parmenion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James
do you put any emphasis on names the way David Gemmell did, he told me that he liked to go for hard sounding names , will dig out one of the emails, but if i remember rightly he like to put emphasis on Hard K sounds etc..
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not really. We all have styles of names we like, I think, but in the end, it's that 'sounds right' thing for every name. Some do change having started out sounding right but as the character developed they've become clumsy or just plain wrong.

Trying to think of one... actually not in the ascendants but in Noonshade, Kerela, head honcho of Julatsa, began life as 'Boronation'. I thought it sounded pretty damn good but, after a tip in the ear from my editor and a clear thought one day, I came to see it as what it was. Total crap.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just think there could have been a spin off soap Boronation street!! with the elvish duckworths Very Happy
Kerela

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the place-names? Is there some system in them, too?

And yeah, I'm really happy that you changed your mind about Boronation Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, up to a point. What I tried to do was justify in my mind, the name of a place based on its country and location. Looking at an atlas tells you that there are often clusters of place names whose names bear similar roots. But, depending on who founded a place, the name could be totally different from anything else in the country. So that gave me a pretty free rein if I wanted it.
norrow5210

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

hello,everybody,the nameing is a art job....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Writing The Ascendants All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: