James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Raven: A visual interpretation

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Type of visual media best suits The Raven series
Graphic Novel (western style)
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Manga (Japanese graphic novels/comic books)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Feature film
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Made for TV movie
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
TV series (Live action)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Animation Movie
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Animated TV series
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Keep it as a book only
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Conrad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: The Raven: A visual interpretation Reply with quote

Hello all,

My name is Conrad and I work as a translator/interpretor for a national TV network in Japan. Mainly my work is translating websites/press releases advertising the upcoming shows or interpreting for the English speaking talent when they come to Japan and appear on one of the networks stations.
Not that the above has anything to do with my question but I figured I'd do a bit of an introduction with my first question.

Assuming that there was sufficient financing found for making the Raven novels into visual media, which media would you like to see them in?

My vote would be for either animated movie or feature film.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Have a great weekend.
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go feature film (with episodic TV as a second place). I feel the stories are big enough to carry on to film and the chracters dominant enough and engaging enough to keep the fans flocking in movie after movie...
Drizzt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely feature film as my first choice though, if it were done well, episodic TV would work as well. I enjoyed 'Spartacus: Blood & Sand' recently... but yes, feature film wins for me.
TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, prefer to leave it to my imagination! Very Happy
Aces

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely feature film. Would love to see this series adapted for the big screen.

It would also be very interesting to see who was cast for the roles of The Raven! Cool

Max Power

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aces wrote:
Definitely feature film. Would love to see this series adapted for the big screen.

It would also be very interesting to see who was cast for the roles of The Raven! Cool

Feature film for me too, but don't start on the whole 'who should we cast' debate again? That raged on for ages a few years ago! And whatever you do, don't mention Vin Diesel and Unknown in the same sentence, or Lizzy will get you!!! Laughing
Aces

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Power wrote:
Aces wrote:

Feature film for me too, but don't start on the whole 'who should we cast' debate again? That raged on for ages a few years ago! And whatever you do, don't mention Vin Diesel and Unknown in the same sentence, or Lizzy will get you!!! Laughing
\

Haha Well I just can't see Vinnie as The Unknown but who knows. Maybe I could get used to the idea.... Wink Cool

Conrad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. It was an interesting exercise.

It would be nice to have the 40-60 mil to make the movies.

Could you direct me to the who should be cast as who debate as I'd like to read that.

Thanks again and have a great week.

Sincerely,
Conrad
Lizzy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the old thread:

http://jamesbarclay.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96

It made me chuckle having a read through it..... Laughing

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Conrad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response to the link. I appreciate it.

The casting call was quite interesting to read, though I didn't know all of the names mentioned. Most, but not all.

An Indiana Jones level of movie would cost a good chunk of change to make depending on cast, effects and locations.

As Indiana Jones was mentioned as a comparable movie.
Raiders was made for 18 mil (due in part to few special effects, cheap locations, relatively unknown cast)
Crystal Skull was made for 185 mil (lots of effects, locations and some now A list actors) inflation is not considered.

A TV series could be made for considerably less. (roughly a third i think, but havent ran the numbers so this is just a guess.)
A respectable fan movie could be done for 2 mil or so. Lots of volunteering and calling in of favors needed for this though.

To get world wide distribution easier one or more A list cast would have to be included. So the distributors can sell it to the public.

This was a great exercise for me. Thanks for indulging.

I'd love to see these books and the upcoming ones made into a visual medium. I go see them regardless of the cast or medium if they came to Japan.

thanks for taking the time to read this. Have a great week.

Conrad
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad - it's a pleasure to have you on the boards. Thanks for your kind words. Keep in touch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> The Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: