James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paul Hoffman The Left Hand of God

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Paul Hoffman The Left Hand of God Reply with quote

I have not read much fantasy recently but this one appealed to me, and i have to say you will not be sorry if you splash out on this one, a very very good book.

The Left Hand of God

Out in 2010

“Listen. The Sanctuary of the Redeemers on Shotover Scarp is named after a damned lie for there is no redemption that goes on there and less sanctuary. The Sanctuary of the Redeemers is a vast and desolate place – a place without joy or hope. Most of its occupants were taken there as boys and for years have endured the brutal regime of the Lord Redeemers whose cruelty and violence have one singular purpose – to serve in the name of the One True Faith. In one of the Sanctuary’s vast and twisting maze of corridors stands a boy. He is perhaps fourteen or fifteen years old – he is not sure and neither is anyone else. He has long-forgotten his real name, but now they call him Thomas Cale. He is strange and secretive, witty and charming, violent and profoundly bloody-minded. He is so used to the cruelty that he seems immune, but soon he will open the wrong door at the wrong time and witness an act so terrible that he will have to leave this place, or die. His only hope of survival is to escape across the arid Scablands to Memphis, a city the opposite of the Sanctuary in every way: breathtakingly beautiful, infinitely Godless, and deeply corrupt. But the Redeemers want Cale back at any price… not because of the secret he now knows but because of a much more terrifying secret he does not.
OLD NEW GUY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 1/2 way through this now, its started off a bit clunky, but its really starting to take shape now. the characters are coming to life and the world is starting to take shape in my head.

It reminds me of when i started reading Cry of the newborn for the first time, it was all so new , there was so much information being shown that it was hard to process it all and get that image in your mind. but then it all clicked and you had this clear picture of everyone.

I really think that this book will appeal to all on here.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't happen to be reselling this one, do you, Robin..? Feels more like a sales pitch than a review... Wink
Parmenion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mate, as this wasnt due out for a bit i thought i'd give a heads up on it...... i never sell advance proofs that publishers give me.

I did finish the book, and did enjoy it, there was something about it that bugged me but i couldnt put my finger on it. But i would say add it to your reading list for early 2010.

Some good characters to get involved with, and a very interesting dare i say origional plot....its going to be interesting to se how this shapes up.

actually while typing this i think what bugged me was the story was too short...there was something missing from it....maybe its in book 2??
Drizzt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've read this one now... still not quite sure what to make of it. I really don't think Hoffman is a fan of the Church. At all...

I liked some of the characters, there was plenty of humour, but it did that REALLY annoying thing at the end where it resolved sod all and is obviously the first in a trilogy or a series. Grrr...

Still, reasonably original and quite a fast read so it's worth a looksee.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the book suddenly stopped...like someone told his...Woooaahh , stop there, from here on its book 2.
par for the course these days....i think the man went to a RC school...LOL
Drizzt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did, I read a quick bio on him and apparently he did spend some time in some type of catholic boarding school... poor sod.

Still, January for book 2 then.
Parmenion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a RC primary school...i still have flash backs to those nuns {shudder}...and they think Nam was bad!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: