James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Reading <cont 5>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parmenion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you like that kind of OTT thriller, then also try Matthew Reilly, Andy Mcdermott & James Rollins, all what i class as a good trashy thriller for inbetween more involved reads....a palate cleanser.
Futre4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you say that , I have just picked up a Matthew Reilly second hand. I'll take your recommendations on board cheers.

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last few days I've read Tom Holt's 'Blonde Bombshell', a comedy that didn't make me laugh once, Alden Bell's 'The Reapers are the Angels', utterly superb, and Charlie Huston's 'Sleepless', heavy going in places but worth sticking with. To finish the week on a bit of a bang I'm working my way through 'Helsreach' (Aaron Dembski-Bowden).

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The Office of Shadow' - Matthew Sturges. Excellent. Not out yet, I've got an advance copy from my US publishers, Pyr, but one to look out for. Fantastic magic system, just fantastic.
Alia

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fiolet" (Purple) by Polish writer Magdalena Kozak - a science-fiction novel about cosmic invasion in the form of giant cyanide-producing plants and brave sky-divers and firefighters who try to fight it. The brief summary might sound ridiculous but the book is very good. The author herself is a sky-diver so what she writes about it makes a lot of sense, the story is very fast-paced and characters are likeable. And in addition, I have a very personal attitude to this novel - I've known the author for something like six years, when I met her, she just wrote her first book and, guess what, it was "Fiolet". She didn't know what to think about it, so she gave it to some people to read, among others to me and my husband. It's wasn't that good than but it had great moments, so we told her she's promising, she should write some more and she should look for a publisher. And so she did. She wrote three immensely popular books about vampires in special forces (and when I say immensely popular, I mean, she does not have fans, only fanatics over here in Poland) and then she came back to "Fiolet".

BTW, if you care, you can see the official trailer of the book. It's in Polish, but the words aren't that important. And also I took part in filming it Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6AvEzho6J4

Next I'll probably go to "Metro 2033" by Dmitry Glukhovsky, a horror story set in the Moscow underground. It seems the book has so far been translated into Polish, Spanish and German so perhaps it will also appear in English.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Rob Sanders' 'Redemption Corps' where storm troopers in the Warhammer 40K universe kick seven kinds of... you know what out of alien hordes and their own side! It's one hell of an entertaining read when Sanders lays off on the detail and lets the story breathe. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off Jon Sprunk's 'Shadow's Son'...

Alia

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Veniss Underground" by Jeff Vandermeer. I really do not know what to make of this book. It's New Weird, it's strange, it's fascinating and at the same time horrible. The main problem is - the characters leave me cold. I do not feel empathy, pity or even get annoyed with them.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, you've reminded me that I really need to give 'City of Saints and Madmen' a re-read soon Very Happy

Finished reading Jon Sprunk's 'Shadow's Son' and Steve Hockensmith's 'Dawn of the Dreadfuls'. Both were entertaining enough but 'Shadow's Son' skated very close to being 'just another book about assassins' (and wasn't paced very well) and 'Dawn' didn't come out well in the comparisons with its predecessor...
I'm now well into China Mieville's 'Kraken' and it's very good indeed...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s been one of those weeks where everything that I’ve picked up off the reading pile went down a treat! Graham McNeill’s ’The Chapter’s Due’ was a fine slice of military sci-fi from the Warhammer 40K universe, China Mieville’s ’Kraken’ was the kind of urban fantasy that ‘Neverwhere’ wanted to be (although Mieville perhaps indulged himself a little too much setting up the background) and David Moody’s ’Dog Blood’ was just plain nasty but in the best possible way!
I’m now well into Darren Shan’s ‘Procession of the Dead’...

Shriker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Five Greatest Warriors - Mathew Reilly

Been after this book for ages after the last one 'Six Sacred Stones' finished on a huge cliffhanger!

For anyone interested I highly recommend Mathew Reilly's books. You get hooked instantly, they are fast paced, and you never get bored.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Jonathan Strahan & Lou Anders' 'Swords & Dark Magic', a collection of new 'Sword & Sorcery' tales from new writers as well as writers established in the sub-genre. A fewof the tales didn't quite hit the mark but the majority did and the collection as a whole is thoroughly entertaining. What is perhaps the longest review I've ever written is over Here. I'm now having a go at Lynn Flewelling's 'The White Road' but I haven't read the rest of the series and this is proving to be a larger obstacle than normal...

stiffanbond

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished reading 'Sacajawea' by Anna Lee Waldo.It took me a long time for some reason,but it's a very good,informative book about the life of Sacajawea and the role she played in the Lewis and Clark expedition of America and its native people.She was quite a woman.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading J.L Bourne's 'Day by Day Armageddon', a diary account of a zombie apocalypse. The diary format doesn't really let us get to know the main character, as well as we could do, but Bourne has the grim post apocalyptic atmosphere spot on and gives his readers plenty of obstacles to wonder at and work our way round. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off Kage Baker's 'The Bird of the River'...

Max Power

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 10 chapters into Shadow by KJ Parker. Am waiting for it to really burst into life, but it's been interesting so far, and has hints of good things to come. I'm just biding time until I buy Once Walked With Gods tomorrow!
Shriker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished The search for Atlantis by Andy McDermott, after people saying it had a poor ending I'd disagree, I really enjoyed it all the way through the it kept me interested continually.

Now reading The Tomb of Hercules by the same author, although I had Once walked with gods tempting me after I bought it yesturday Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 28 of 34

Jump to: