James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Reading <cont 5>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Michael Shea's 'The Extra', where impoverished people go up against giant mechanical spiders (to earn big money) on film for the entertainment of the masses. This book treads ground that is already well trodden, and some of the social commentary is a little heavy handed, but it's still a lot of fun and highly recommended by me! My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off 'Farlander' as well as Christopher Golden's 'Zombie' anthology.

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Max Power

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bonehunters, by Steven Erikson, and - for a little light relief - My Lucky Star, by Joe Keenan, and Desperate Housewives-esque comedy romp through the Hollywood script-writing world. Very different from my usual stuff, but raises a smile each time I open it.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Christopher Golden's 'Zombie' anthology, there are some excellent stories here although I'd debate whether others were actually zombie stories at all. I also finished Col Buchanan's 'Farlander', a book that starts out bearing no small resemblance to 'Gardens of the Moon' but goes on to find it's own voice in the best possible way. My review is over Here. I'm now reading James Swallow's 'Black Tide'.

Selik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portrait of a Killer by Patricia Cornwall. It's an in depth look at the facts and myths surrounding Jack the Ripper. Should be interesting Smile
Alia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futre4 wrote:
Just finished Ghost by Robert Harris. As chance has it its currently being made into a movie directed by Roman Polanski. It was an atmospheric and edgy affair that culminated in an unforseable twist. Im now looking forward to the movie incarnation.

Just came back from the cinema. I really liked the film, the acting was very good and the story was gripping (haven't read the book, though).

Currently I'm reading Jeffrey Ford's "The Physiognomy". The world that he created is amazing but I'm not sure what to thing about the characters. Also, the Polish translation isn't very good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raymond E Feist's Latest Book "At the gates of Darkness"

**** POTENTIAL SPOILER Of EARLIER BOOKS ******

Kinda getting over it but have read all the earlier books and figured better just finish it off. Another tale with 'Jimmy The Hand' and Pug... How Wrong can you go!!
Shriker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherlock Holmes - A study in Scarlet

Thought I'd go for something classic, and what's better than the very first Sherlock Holmes book.
Alia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Gaiman's "Odd and the Frost Giants". It didn't take me very long, as it is a shortish book for children, but it was nice. And Gaiman was recently in Poland, too.

Then I also read a novel by a Polish writer Jarosław Grzędowicz, which I liked and hated at the same time. I liked it because it's a great adventure story with likeable characters but I hated it because the author is well known here for his right-wing bias and he puts it everywhere in his novel. Totalitarian EU that limits people's freedoms, bloodthirsty feminists, dumb psychologists - being a leftish liberal, I hated it.

And now I'm starting another Polish s-f novel, book three of the series that took five or so years to write. A long wait, I hope it will be worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Man With The Golden Torc, by Simon Green. Urban fantasy, I guess, with lots of mythology references. Very tongue in cheek (think supernatural James Bond and you're half way there) and a little obvious at times - every gadget gets used, little references are recalled later etc - but a jolly good fun read, and light relief when compared to some of my other books.
Mantyluoto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished the 15 book saga written by katharine kerr. I've been Reading them frequently for the last 15 years and I feel really...... Sad, I think, now that I've finished them.
Lizzy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know that feeling Manty, some stories you just want to carry on.

I've just read Matter of Blood by Sarah Pinborough; a really really good crime thriller, her best book that I've read to date.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Alexhey Pehov's 'Shadow Prowler' where a thief finds himself railroaded into a quest to save a kingdom from darkness. If that wasn't enough, there might be a prophecy involved as well... There is nothing new in 'Shadow Prowler' (quest + reluctant hero + first book in a trilogy = generic fantasy) at all and I was left wondering if the translation was up to scratch. Despite this though, I ended up having a lot of fun with a book that hit the target when it finally got going. My full review is over Here. I'm now reading Adrian Tchaikovsky's 'Salute the Dark'...

TheJovialGnome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy wrote:
I've just read Matter of Blood by Sarah Pinborough; a really really good crime thriller, her best book that I've read to date.

Heartily agree with Lizzy, I've just finished and this is light years better than anything she's written to date! Gritty, gruesome but a great read! Very Happy
Alia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
Finished reading Alexhey Pehov's 'Shadow Prowler' where a thief finds himself railroaded into a quest to save a kingdom from darkness. If that wasn't enough, there might be a prophecy involved as well... There is nothing new in 'Shadow Prowler' (quest + reluctant hero + first book in a trilogy = generic fantasy) at all and I was left wondering if the translation was up to scratch.

That's always a problem if you are reading a translation. Of course, as most s-f/fantasy is written in English anyway, the problem for you is much smaller than for me - I guess about 80% of what I read is translated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindless modern day indiana Jones style action with Clive Cussler's 'shockwave'. Its not gonna win any literary awards indeed his metaphors are often ridiculous as are his plotlines, that said I love reading them so he's doing something right. I will then chip away at The devils teardrop by Jeffery deaver........again im sorry there isnt a fantasy book in sight but my selection over here is somewhat limited.

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 27 of 34

Jump to: