James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Raven - Your 3 fav moments - SPOILERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best moments in the books for me:

1. Ilkar's death scene. Probably the most poignant death scene I've yet read. Tied overall with Sean Bean's death as Boromir in Fellowship of the Ring (which I personally regard as the best death scene ever).

Honourable mention goes to the end of Shadowheart, when Hirad says "this is for you, old friend. We did it for you. I hope you like it" (or words to that effect, I don't have the book in front of me)

2. In Calaius when the Raven are making their way through the forest and find out they have to climb hundreds of feet up some trees in order to cross a river, the mages give Hirad a bunch of crap and cast ShadowWings, and Hirad goes, "bastards". My favourite LOL moment.

3. Sirendor's death. I just about lost it when Hirad was alone with him and started crying. And I didn't even know him.

4. Selik's death. I can't believe I was made to wait for four books to get it but it was worth it.

5. Hirad's death scene. Also very cool. Very fitting end, one he could be proud to have.

6. Finding out Sol got his bar after all, at the end of Demonstorm.

7. Finding out the Raven will be together forever as guardians of the new world.

But my absolute favourite moment was when I was a few chapters into Dawnthief and realised that I was going to HAVE to read the whole series (just started reading 2 months or so ago).
Shriker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I hated Hirad's death scene, not because it was a bad scene, but because I didn't want him to die lol also I really wanted Erienne to survive, she deserved that, which is why I love the ending to Ravensoul Smile

Just finished re-reading Demonstorm and can confirm that one of my all time favorite moments is when Dystran flys down next to Drenoul and says "Suprise" lol
Albert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Un)fortunately I knew it was coming. I accidentally read the synopsis for Ravensoul before reading Demonstorm Crying or Very sad So at least I had that long to get used to it.

But still though I was happy that his death was a good one. I was really bummed out that Darrick got crushed by a building, I thought he should have had a death in some kind of actual battle, at least. But Hirad had probably the best death next to Ilkar. Fitting for his personality and the kind of enemy they had to face. If there was a "big bad" in this book then he should have died in that fight, but in a situation where their foes are largely faceless, it was the best I could have hoped for.

I agree about Erienne though. I was heartbroken.

I'm also reminded of the ending to Shadowheart where the Raven and the elves are sitting around talking, and Hirad has the bit about how they spent six years saving Balaia and everybody just wants them dead. The mood and rapport they shared really hit the right note.
Shriker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think Shadowheart is my favourite. And I agree Darrick's death was disappointing, but he was doing what he loved when he died, commanding and helping people, even if the building exploding was a bit annoying.

By the way, a question for James if you see this. Was it the demons making the building and the grain store explode on their own, or were they using the Xetesktian ward grid against them? Seen as just before it happens someone makes a comment about a ward failing behind them.

Which brings up an interesting point, sorry, last tagent I promise Razz Xeteskian ward grids always seem to end up working against them, even though they are meant to be brilliant lol arrogance.
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shriker... no, in Demonstorm, the demons are just triggering wards. And as for the building that falls on Darrick, the Karron just push it down to get out on to the street.

I know it wasn't a Hollywood death but sometimes, the sudden, completely unfair death is more dramatic. He still died a hero, trying to save the people he loved and his country.
Shriker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is however the first of two ward grids that causes a massive problem for them lol thats the only point I was getting at really.

And I agree, it was certainly shocking, I guess I was just upset Darrick was dead, he was such a likable character.

In referance to one of my previous posts, were there some bits you were writing and laughing at them at the same time? For example when Dystran drops down and suprises Drenoul? I thought that was brilliant and funny Smile
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I laugh or cry or find a scene tense then I consider I'm doing it right... as for Dystran and Drenoul, that one just felt really, really satisfying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> The Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: