James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Reading <cont 5>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading 'Black and White' (Jackie Kessler & Caitlin Kittredge), a tale of superheroes and superheroes gone bad... or have they? As with 'Spellbent' yesterday, 'Black and White' doesn't really bring anything new to the table but it's still a very entertaining read. My full review is over Here. I'm now well into Charles de Lint's 'Muse and Reverie'.

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished reading 'Death & Dishonour', a collection of fantasy stories set in the 'Warhammer' universe. Not all of the stories did it for me but there was enough blood n' guts to keep me happy on the whole; Paul Kearney's 'Broken Blood' was the highlight! This book is a good place to start if you're looking to get into Warhammer fantasy fiction for the first time. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off 'Star Wars: Crosscurrent' (Paul S. Kemp).

Selik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started reading Fiona McIntosh's 'Royal Exile'. Absolutely fantastic so far and as delightfully gruesome as ever Twisted Evil May have to buy book two so I can move straight on afterwards.
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember why but i just couldn't get into that one... Confused Let me know how the rest of it goes? Very Happy

Finished Paul S. Kemp's 'Crosscurrent', a Star Wars novel about time travel and a new threat to the Jedi order. While the 'new threat' bit makes it sound like a rehash of other Star Wars books, Kemp's take on this is refreshing and could lead to an intriguing series of books. I hope it does. 'Crosscurrent' takes a while to get going but once it does... Star Wars fans won't be disappointed with this one as it's full of all the stuff that made the films great. My full review is over Here. I'm now working my way through N.K. Jemisin's 'The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms'...

Selik

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
I can't remember why but i just couldn't get into that one... Confused Let me know how the rest of it goes? Very Happy

Could it have had anything to do with the roasting and consumption of a monarch? Laughing
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even get that far... Sad Once the reading pile stops teetering quite so much I might have to go back to that one!

Finished reading Guy Adams' 'The World House', a dimension spanning mystery in a house that I loved visiting. I wouldn't want to live there though...
'The World House' suffers from choppy pacing at the start but overcomes this to present its readers with a compelling mystery set against a deliciously surreal and dark background. You may have seen it all before but Adams really makes it his own. I loved this book and can't wait for the sequel. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off N.K. Jemisin's 'The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms'...

Selik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
I didn't even get that far... Sad Once the reading pile stops teetering quite so much I might have to go back to that one!

I promise you it's well worth sticking with if you can. There are plenty of really likable characters, and although i've managed to guess a couple of things right along the way so far i'm pretty sure there're going to be a lot more surprises to come!
I finished it last night. Off out to buy 'Tyrant's Blood' tomorrow. Then I just have to hope 'Kings' Wrath' comes out really soon after Razz
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get a chance I'll give it another go Very Happy My wife has promised to kill me if I bring more books into the house though Shocked

Finished reading N.K. Jemisin's 'The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms'. The book started off a little choppy in terms of pace (a main character who keeps stopping the story to go back and correct other details doesn't help) but once it got going things really picked up and I had a great time reading it. I'll be around to see what happens in the next book. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off Mike Resnick's 'Starship: Flagship'.

Selik

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
If I get a chance I'll give it another go Very Happy My wife has promised to kill me if I bring more books into the house though Shocked

How cruel and heartless! Perhaps you could find some way of concealing it? Razz
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only does my wife see all but even if I did manage to sneak a book into the house without her spotting it, my conscience would stab me in the back and drop me in it... Sad Maybe if I can get the reading pile under control...

Finished reading Mike Resnick's 'Starship: Flagship', last in that series. Wilson Cole's fight to take down the Republic is as contrived as hell but, at the same time, it's also contrived to be good fun and very entertaining so you can't really complain. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off 'The Eternal Prison' (Jeff Somers) and 'The Call of Kerberos' (Jonathan Oliver).

Selik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
Not only does my wife see all but even if I did manage to sneak a book into the house without her spotting it, my conscience would stab me in the back and drop me in it... Sad Maybe if I can get the reading pile under control...
Do you think she'd be happier if someone leant a book rather than you buying it? Smile

I got the second installment today. 'Tyrant's Blood'. Wasn't expecting it to begin in a contemporary world despite knowing one character wasn't in the original world itself.
A bit weird seeing names like 'Jim Watkins' and 'Reginald', but there you go!

I'm still hoping that a really go outcome will happen, but then I don't exactly know the full history yet (so many secrets Wink )
Futre4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Ghost by Robert Harris. As chance has it its currently being made into a movie directed by Roman Polanski. It was an atmospheric and edgy affair that culminated in an unforseable twist. Im now looking forward to the movie incarnation.

http://richardpmurfin.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Selik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2/3 of the way through Tyrant's Blood. All I can say is the number of things I've guessed would happen is freaky and I can't wait for book 3, King's Wrath, due out in October!
Handy- bday pressie for me I think Very Happy
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik wrote:
Do you think she'd be happier if someone leant a book rather than you buying it? Smile

She'd be a lot happier but my house is like a black hole for books; they get lost, never to be seen again... Sad

Thanks for the offer though! Very Happy

Finished reading Jonathan Oliver's 'The Call of Kerberos' where a fisherman must learn to control powers that he never even knew he had in order to fight off an invasion of monsters from beneath the sea...
As you can tell, there isn't a lot here that you won't have read before in other books and there's also a disturbing lack of background for the story to set itself against. When things get going though, Oliver does tell an entertaining tale that's worth a read. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off 'Kitty's House of Horrors' and 'The Eternal Prison'.

Kerela

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volpone by Ben Johnson...yeah looking at my reading-lists for this semester I won't have time for much fun-reading Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 26 of 34

Jump to: