James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Reading <cont 5>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deornoth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Dan Abnett's 'Titanicus', Warhammer 40K tie-in fiction featuring giant robots shooting hell out of each other on a Mechanicum Forge World. The ending is never in any doubt but the fun definitely lies in getting there! Sobering and exhilarating in equal measure, my full review is over Here. 'The Templar' really wasn't working for me so I've put it down in favour of Ken Scholes' 'Canticle' (which is looking to be much better).

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
skandranon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the second in Stan Nicholls Orcs bad blood, and like the first trilogy and the first in this series absolutely brilliant for getting rid of your brain cobwebs. Fast paced exciting and brutal, bring on the next one!
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Steve Perry's 'Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead' where Indy has to get his hands on a fabled black pearl before the Nazis, Japanese soldiers... and zombies! I had a lot of fun reading this but couldn't escape from the feeling that it's Indy and Indy always wins through, right? This killed some of the tension for me. My full review is over Here. Now it's back to 'Canticle'...

Alia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Meanwhile, I'm reading Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith. It's about a murder investigation set against the backdrop of Cold War Russia. It is a really frightening vision of a communist police state. It is utterly depressing and utterly compelling.

If you're interested in Stalin's Soviet Union, I recommend David Murphy's "What Stalin knew". It's a non-fiction book written by CIA's resident in West Berlin, set in 1939-1941, and it describes the atmosphere of Stalin's "court" very well. Things like killing off or sending to gulag your best army officers, because they get too independent.

Meanwhile, I'm mostly reading what I'm translating, which at the moment is a totally realistic novel about dying, young adult fiction and some fantasy. I've also started reading Mieville's "Iron Council", but I'm still not even halfway through. Too much work, too little time.

BTW, I've also read the latest novel by Andrzej Sapkowski, called "Zmija" ("Viper"). It's about Russians in Afghanistan and it's really, really bad. Hopefully, it won't get translated into English.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy and devoured them all in swift succession. Most enjoyable, the last time I couldn't put a book down like these was yours James Wink
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Jeremy De Quidt's 'The Toymaker'. I don't normally read YA stuff but fancied a change and picked this one up. I'm glad I did, totally wasn't what I was expecting and it's got killer dolls in it! Had a great time reading this one, my full review is over Here. I'm now reading John Meaney's 'Black Blood' amongst others...

Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Anthony Reynolds' 'Dark Creed', Warhammer 40K tie-in fiction focussing on the 'Word Bearers' Traitor Legion. The outcome is never in any real doubt but the real fun lies in getting to the conclusion, not the conclusion itself. If you're a fan of 'over the top war in space' then you'll enjoy this one. My full review is over Here. No idea what I'll be reading next...

Shriker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonstorm Smile and throughly enjoying re-reading it Smile
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of awesome Blackthorne mopments Very Happy
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Troy Denning's 'Invincible', the last book in the 'Star Wars: Legacy of the Force' series. It was a lot of fun to read but a loss of focus right at the end, along with a tendency for characters to 'bypass danger' when it suits the author, soured things somewhat. My full review is over Here. I'm now reading David Gemmell's 'Quest for Lost Heroes'...

Selik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently 2/3 of the way through Dara O' Briain's 'Tickling the English'. It's a fantastic read. He's a really intelligent guy and it's full of really funny moments.
In particular the story of the most middle-class burglery of all time!
Kerela

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Tickling the English, too. I just couldn't stop laughing.

After nearly two month reading various (mostly funny) non-fiction I started with Arkadien Erwacht the latest book of Kai Meyer, a quite popular German Fantasy-writer. The basic plot is a kind of Romeo & Juliet-story with two Mafia-Clans with some shape-changers added. I'm neither that keen on love-stories nor faszinated with the mafia but still I quite enjoy reading it. The main-character got quite fast from being annoying to being interesting and it's not so full of cliches as you might expect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Aaron Dembski-Bowden's 'Soul Hunter', Warhammer 40K tie-fiction about the machinations of the traitor legions (The Night Lords in particular). 'Soul Hunter' is a slow burner to start off with but does give you plenty to get your teeth into; it ramps up the pace later on and that's when it's worth sticking around for! My full review is over Here. I fancied a bit of a change of pace and am now reading Lucy Snyder's 'Spellbent'.

Selik

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerela wrote:
I loved Tickling the English, too. I just couldn't stop laughing.

The more you read of it the more you have to love him. He really knows his history as well which just adds to his comedic lines about towns and cities.

There are some fantastic moments in this book. I particularly liked so far the middle-class robbery, where the loot was re-discovered in the owners courgette patch and when Dara actually spent an entire interval in his performance learning to spell in morsecode to write a note to a naval signalman who took offence when Dara picked on him for arriving late to the performance.
Shriker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still trying to finish off Demonstorm, just past Darrick's death, which on reflection I think was unfair to his character, maybe he could have survived the blast wounded, then tried to help someone out and gotten overwhelmed by reavers? Dunno just thought it was too....quick :/

Anyway, next books im reading are the Magician's Guild Trilogy which my girlfriend got me for Christmas Smile and on my PDA I'm reading "A Study in Scarlet" the very first Sherlock Holmes book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 25 of 34

Jump to: