James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Reading <cont 5>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selik

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft Excel- company stocklist!!!!!

I always knew there was a reason my mind used to shut off studying Excel in school Mad

I definitely need a new book! Any recommendations of something vaguely new thats not been talked about?
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Morgan Howell's 'Candle in the Storm', second book in the 'Shadowed Path' trilogy. Despite the formulaic Dark Lord and 'black and white' reasoning I really found myself getting into this book, couldn't help thinking that I'd read it all before though... My full review is over Here. I'm now well into the latest Elric collection 'In the Dream Realms'...

Does exactly what it says on the tin!
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I find Howell's series? I looked on Waterstones for it and Siberian Huskies and Bassett Hounds were what came up Laughing
Deornoth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look for it on Amazon.com or, if you work in the same building as me, then you'll find it on the bookshelf next to the kitchen (on the 3rd Floor) Very Happy

Finished Robert Greenberger's 'Iron Man: Femmes Fatales' where Iron Man must help a newly formed S.H.I.E.L.D combat HYDRA incursions into New York. It's not exactly a challenging read but 'Femmes Fatales' entertained the hell out of me and that was the main thing. My full review is over Here. Now it's back to 'Finch' again, hopefully I'll finish it off over the weekend.

Selik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks though I fear Amazon may just have to be the place I look Razz
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it might be Wink

Finally finished Jeff Vandermeer's 'Finch', maybe a little predictable (in terms of the ebb and flow of the detective sub-plot) but at the same time totally alien and utterly gorgeous in it's depiction of the city and some of the surprises that it throws up. My full review is over Here.
I'm now working my way through 'The Cardinal's Blades' (Pierre Pevel) and 'Total Oblivion, More or Less' (Alan DeNiro).

Kerela

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dara O'Briain - Tickling the Englisch, Mark Steel - Vive La Revolution and 'How Children Learn Language', which is defenitely much less fun than the other two Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Selik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww I'm dying to read Tickling the English. I read the first 1.5 chapters and really wanted to finish the whole thing, but supermarkets tend not to like you reading the entire product in their stores.

I'm also looking to read Fiona McIntosh's most recent series. Looks pretty cool. And she's the only female author i've found thus far who doesn't care what people think of her uber violent scenes. If you read her books without knowing the author was female you'd think it was a really screwed up bloke Laughing
So, those are on my Yule list. Here's hoping I get at least one of them *smiles sweetly at people still needing to get me something... I think my sister does*
Deornoth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished reading Greg Keyes' 'The Infernal City', first of two books based on the 'Elder Scrolls' computer game. This is definitely one for fans of the game, I've never seen the game and the lack of background information in the book meant it took me a while to really get into it. It also reads like half a book with characters and events very much being moved into place for Book Two... Decent characterisation, and some good cliff hanger moments, mean that I will be back for the next book though. My full review is over Here. I'm now well into 'The Resurrectionist' by Wrath James White...

Selik

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone read Fiona McIntosh's two new books? It's the Valisar trilogy. I managed to read the first few pages in Waterstones before being ushered out (not by staff I hasten to add).
Read really well and I was getting quite into it. Just wondering if anyone's got any furhter than page 3 Laughing
Deornoth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got up to about page 7 on the first book Very Happy It wasn't bad but I put it down to do something else and never got the urge to pick it up again... Confused

Finished reading Simon Clark's 'Ghost Monster', a tale of possession in a sleepy English coastal town (well it was sleepy...) I loved the concept but the execution didn't quite match it, shame really... My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off Dan Abnett's 'Titanicus' and starting on Paul Doherty's 'The Templar'.

Selik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deornoth wrote:
I got up to about page 7 on the first book Very Happy It wasn't bad but I put it down to do something else and never got the urge to pick it up again... Confused
Laughing

Sounds like me with most fantasy books these days Shocked I've only got a select few i'm currently reading. Everything else is either historical or biographical. Hence i'm on the lookout for new authors i've not read yet. Gets a bit boring reading the same books over and over.

How was page 7? Razz
Parmenion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik have you tried Conn Igguldens Genghis series, its very much like reading about Gemmells Ulric....(as DG based Ulric and the nadir on the mongols and Genghis is not suprising) it is very much Historical FICTION and starts from when he is a child in Wolf of the plains. lots of action and blood and guts...

might be something new for you to try??
Shriker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently reading, or re-reading, Shadowheart Smile one because it's a book that seems to get overlooked but that I really enjoyed, and two because it leads onto demonstorm Very Happy
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work, Shriker. In fact I find it really hard ti believe that anyone has anytime to read any other books than mine. I weep every night at the betrayal.

Meanwhile, I'm reading Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith. It's about a murder investigation set against the backdrop of Cold War Russia. It is a really frightening vision of a communist police state. It is utterly depressing and utterly compelling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 24 of 34

Jump to: