James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfgar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Computer game Reply with quote

Just read the interview in which you mention an RPG/strategy computer game based on the Raven. Is there any more on this or is it just in the discussion stage at the moment?
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a discussion. I'm doing some work on ideas as are a few others. The game rights have been acquired but, like movie rights, that means very little unless we can find some finance. Fear not, if anything really exciting happens, you'll hear me whooping and hollering from wherever you live.

And I'll post here too, of course...
Selik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh, spiffy! You tried down the back of the sofa? It's meant to be really good for finding money! Razz
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did but all I found were some half chewed rice cakes, pieces of jigsaw and 567,987 bic pens.
Selik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Ah well, hey-ho. Least you've got plenty of writing supplies.
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But none of them work. Naturally.
Selik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, that means you actually had to have gone out and bought all of those pens!
Who buys that number of bic pens, even in desperation? Surely you'd have moved onto the gel pens? Or a fountain pen (despite the messy ink leakages). Oh and i've also discovered ink pens are so much better if your handwriting's crap, like mine Razz Can't even read my own writings half the time.

Going back to the possible games though, Ste (Drizzt) and I were discussing what format would be best for Raven games: RPG, RTS, Hack and Slash or a nice healthy mixture of all of them.
How would you like the games formatted were it up to you, James? And how do other people here envisage a good Raven game.
Also, who else would you want/need included.
The Barons are an obvious one, as are the Blackwings, college leaders etc. Who would other people like to see included.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a good hack'n'slash game nowadays... a bit of co-operative play can kill a good few hours!

Either that or something akin to the new 'Modern Warfare' game but set in Balaia, that'd be amusing... so long as there's enough hack, slash and slap to keep folks like olde me happy :p
Lizzy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selik wrote:
Hang on, that means you actually had to have gone out and bought all of those pens!
Who buys that number of bic pens, even in desperation? .

Selik, bic pens *appear* and *disappear* at will Laughing

Sorry I can't add much to the gaming discussion, but I suspect I'd give it a go if one ever came on the market.

Listen to Lizzy, she's always right! Laughing as said by Jovial
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might even, dare I say it, successfully kill a Blackwing or two. Razz
James
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I'd want an intelligent game where your decisions and actions genuinely affect what happens as you move on. Where you don't just replay a battle you lose because defeat means something bad just as victory is good. So I want players to really have to think before they act and plan properly and get totally immersed in the play.

So I want elements of RPG, I want strategy like in Total War games and I want the ability to go into one-to-one combat because The Raven can always alter the course of a fight by doing something amazing.

Eventually, I'd like to see most of the favourite characters make appearances and for as many as possible to be playable. But there are realities to what can actually be done within a set budget and time so while I want everything, I know I will probably have to accept slightly less...
Selik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you played Mount and Blade, James? I know a lot of people didn't like the fact there was no specific narrative, and you make everything up as you go along, but the battles are as you've described. If you win you gain a certain level of reknown, if you lose you have all the other Lords take the piss out of you Razz
But it's an awesome game. I've even taken siege of a castle and claimed it for my own Twisted Evil Though I do now have an entire kingdom vying for my head on a plate as a result, but it makes it so much more fun and it's worth waiting for the fun!
(And only £9.99 from Game- Bargain)

And as an added afterthought, you can also loot and burn peoples villages Twisted Evil
Wulfgar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say I've just had an idea! As so many people (myself included) wanted to find out what happens to Jonas et al and there are no plans for another book, how about an RPG where you get to play Jonas?
Selik

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Raven games would be better though, because playing as Jonas, there'd have to be something entirely new created, and not everyone would have read Ravensoul to get to like him.
Raven games, everyone knows the characters, the world etc. Although I suppose for those really interested, there could be some kind of unlockable level or game epilogue?
Wulfgar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but the beauty of having something new created is that no-one's disappointed that their favoutrite character or town or whatever doesn't look how they'd pictured Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> The Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: