James Barclay Forum Index James Barclay
Welcome to the forum for the author James Barclay.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evolution of concepts in the chronicles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Writing The Raven
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milkman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Evolution of concepts in the chronicles Reply with quote

Hi James,

I read Dawnthief a while back and had this qquestion and then forgot about it again before remebering it again. Very Happy

I read some of the chronicles and then the legends and Dawnthief last and so a few things stood out:

Magic
In Dawnthief magic whilst existing within the dicipline of the colleges seems to be more 'flexible' than in the other books. For example when Selyn is dieing she sends a mana pulse across the continent, no formal spell I think. Or that mages can use their skills to directly affect their physiologies without the use of formal spell crafting eg Ilkar and Denser healing protecting their internal systems with mana, the 'intravenous (mana) drip' and when Ilkar says a mage can stop his own heart beating (and so kill himself). And I think the method by which Denser opened the secret entrance at Taranspike.
Why was this sacrificed in the later books, I remember thinking so many times how spells could have been modified to do more damage like combining a FlameOrb with a ForceCone, or when fighting mages indoors, sending ForceCones at the cielling to make masonry drop on top of the enemy mages' HardShields and really exhaust them?

Protectors natural magic
In Dawnthief Protectors naturally have some sympathetic(?) relationship with magic and so it is possible for Denser to 'strap' a pair of ShadowWings on to Sol.
Was this dropped in the later books or was there just not much opportunity to make it showy?

Adult material
The concepton of the Night child is pretty graphic. There was nothing like that in the other books (which in my opinion is a good thing) what were your reasons for not doing anything like that again?
AshleyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its always been pretty consistant.

It is noted in following Raven Books, that if a mage were to die, it would be felt along the base mana trails.

Protectors: In NightChild... they discussed attaching ShadowWings to Protectors when trying to Rescuue Errienne, but the idea was poo-pooed due to the need for only a small force mounting an attack on the ocean elm.

Adualt Material is present in most (if not all) of the 6 Raven Books. I fail to see how this is detrimental to the overall enjoyment of the novels.
Milkman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Protectors: In NightChild... they discussed attaching ShadowWings to Protectors when trying to Rescuue Errienne,

Oops, my bad.

Quote:

I fail to see how this [adult material] is detrimental to the overall enjoyment of the novels.
Wrong type of fantasy. Boom Boom Tsh!

Hmm, I still feel that Dawnthief is not as tightly in synch with the rest of the books as the others. For me personally, Dawnthief feels like a growing phasee for the chronicles where the world is just that bit more maleable and flexible and, for lack of a better word, fantastical. The rest of the books read as though the mould has been set and the constraints of reality are encountered a tiny bit more (and that ain't a bad thing.)

That's just my humble opinion.
AshleyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair does

still.... set the pace for me; made me want to read the following titles,

Though in all honesty, I read Elfsorrow first then went back and read from the beginning.

I see your point.
Styllian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice Selik seems to be carrying around some mighty strong glue after supposedly shattering into a million pieces in Dawnthief Wink Read through Dawnthief and you'll find it says that (not sure if that's true for the new version)

Adult material is fine for me.
Milkman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he break after he gets frozen? Well the Black wings did have mages who could have done a healing job either that or they had Handy Andy and a hell of a lot of mdf. Laughing

And whilst we're disecting Dawnthief, did I read wrong, or was Ithman quick enough to beat Hirad?! Shocked
Shriker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milkman wrote:

And whilst we're disecting Dawnthief, did I read wrong, or was Ithman quick enough to beat Hirad?! Shocked

Wasn't Hirad really tired at the time though?

And the fact that Dawnthief is the first book allows there to be things that change or improve as his writing style changes and a deffinate path is decided.
Drizzt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote Dawnthief a long, long time ago. When it was written it was written as a single novel with a beginning, middle, and end. Through its popularity the following books were spawned, written and published - it's only natural the world building and narrative development continued and evolved as both the story grew and James grew as a writer (thanks, in no small part, to 'The Ascendants').

Just run with it, then read the rest and enjoy the ride. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    James Barclay Forum Index -> Writing The Raven All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: